It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:09 pm

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

Aluminum Crampons on Liberty Ridge - Rainier?

Hello,
I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on using aluminum crampons for Liberty. I have a pair of CAMP XLC crampons and like the weight savings vs. my steel ones. However I've only used them on snow, not actual ice.

thoughts?

thanks!
Read more : Aluminum Crampons on Liberty Ridge - Rainier? | Views : 10671 | Replies : 11

Mont Blancs vs. Rebel Pros

I am looking to buy my first pair of mountaineering boots and have settled on Scarpa for the fit. Looking for the best "all around boot" even though I know one doesn't truly exist. Anyway I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these boots (Mont Blanc or Rebel Pro) and if so if you have any pros/cons... To me the Rebel looks a little more hybrid and the Mont Blanc looks ...
Read more : Mont Blancs vs. Rebel Pros | Views : 3014 | Replies : 0

Any interest in an SMC T-Anchor copycat?

This may be a long shot, but figured I'd try here. I really like the SMC T-Anchors (http://smcgear.com/t-anchor-4-pack.html) for securing shelters in snow. (See photo below.) Sure, you can use stuff sacks filled with snow, etc, but I find it's nice to have some purpose-built tent anchors. These things weigh only 23 grams each, so there is not a huge weight penalty over stuff sacks. (And they are actually ...
Read more : Any interest in an SMC T-Anchor copycat? | Views : 2476 | Replies : 0

La Sportiva Spantik - Lace Replacement

Does any one know specs of the lace on Spantik outer shell? It is broken
Read more : La Sportiva Spantik - Lace Replacement | Views : 6274 | Replies : 4

Crampon Center Bars

Perhaps I'm not using the appropriate search terms because I'm sure the question has been asked before, but is it okay to use the very last notch on my crampon center bar? Both Petzl and BD warn against having too much excess bar coming out the back of the crampon, IE
example.jpg

or using the last notches if you've shortened the bar personally, but what about using the last notch as ...
Read more : Crampon Center Bars | Views : 4822 | Replies : 4

Is Goretex necessary?

I'm the only one in my group of friends that doesn't own a GTX garment aside from gaiters. I normally just pack what they refer to as a "shite rain jacket," and it doesn't go on unless conditions are at their worst. It has a powder coating instead of one of the more expensive Gore or eVent membranes. When we climbed Stuart last December, we were getting hammered by the snow and I guess I ...
Read more : Is Goretex necessary? | Views : 13117 | Replies : 7

Down Midlayer and Shell

I'm pretty new to all this. I have the Patagonia Alpine Kit top base, insulation, and shell layer. They are thin, light and pretty darn warm, especially when moving. On a recent trip in the 30's and snowing the Patagonia Kit worked perfectly, if not a bit too warm.

I recently tried a Arcteryx Cerium SV Jacket. I love it, I want it, but I'm not quite sure where to use it. The Patagonia Shell ...
Read more : Down Midlayer and Shell | Views : 6110 | Replies : 6

Any reason NOT to use 10-point crampons for Denali?

Heading to Denali in May. (West Buttress) Had always planned to use my BD Sabretooths. Now, looking at ways to lighten my pack, I learn about the Petzl Irvis Hybrid, so I pick up a pair to try.

Half the weight. Definitely not as "burly" or aggressive, but even on blue ice, I would think that the steel front half would offer enough purchase. I've used BD Contact Strap crampons on blue ice before without ...
Read more : Any reason NOT to use 10-point crampons for Denali? | Views : 13231 | Replies : 12

Running pickets vs. Belay from above

Regarding the use of doing a running belay with pickets on steep snow (think Old Chute or Pearly Gates on Hood) compared to having someone on top belaying the followers up, can anyone argue which would be better to use to bring up people who haven't climbed either of those routes before? Me and a partner are leading a Hood climb next month and are discussing the merits of each for making sure the newer ...
Read more : Running pickets vs. Belay from above | Views : 4085 | Replies : 2

Hardshell 3/4 zip pants for a tall woman

Wife and I are climbing Rainier this summer, we're going with RMI via the American Lung Associations' Climb for Clean air initiative.

I'm pretty much set for gear, planning to use my OR Cirque softshell pants for the trip. They're not 100% waterproof, but they've proven damn near indestructible and I've never been cold in them, under conditions from 50 and rainy to -10 and howling winds.

She's blessed/cursed with being 5'10" and Amazon legs, ...
Read more : Hardshell 3/4 zip pants for a tall woman | Views : 4018 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558044 • Total topics 55845 • Total members 136631