It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:31 am

News News of News

Site map of News » Forum : News

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.

Stranded tourists in Machu Picchu

Helicopters are struggling to bring out Machu Picchu tourists stranded by mudslides, yet new arrivals are swelling the numbers of those hunkered down in villages near the Inca citadel, complaining of a lack of food, water and accommodations.

Conditions are deteriorating for the 1,500 travelers still stranded four days after slides cut a railway that is the only route to and from the hard-to-reach area atop an Andean mountain ridge. Officials had talked of having ...
Read more : Stranded tourists in Machu Picchu | Views : 1810 | Replies : 4

Climbers from Nepal will attempt to clean up Everest

Thats good to hear. Ken Noguchi of Japan has also been doing a great job
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/05 ... up_eve.php

Apa Sherpa who has climbed Everest 18 times has also been helping to clean up Everest.
Read more : Climbers from Nepal will attempt to clean up Everest | Views : 1909 | Replies : 1

First unassisted crossing of Antarctica.

Hmmm, a bit of inaccuracy in the story above.

I believe that may be the first WOMAN unassisted crossing....

Feinnes & Stroud completed the first UNASSISTED/UNSUPPORTED CROSSING OF THE ANTARCTIC CONTINENT in Feb of 1993.

Fiennes book on his and Stroud's incredible adventure, is an awesome read and one of my favorites...
Read more : First unassisted crossing of Antarctica. | Views : 4304 | Replies : 3

Could a Frozen Camera Dethrone Hillary and Norgay

Hmmm... interesting. I've read a couple of the Mallory-Irvine books and I want to say that they all pretty much concluded by saying something like, "They probably didn't make it, but who knows?" Good luck to the expedition.
Read more : Could a Frozen Camera Dethrone Hillary and Norgay | Views : 1720 | Replies : 6

Luca Vuerich is dead

On January 22nd in Prisojnik, Julian Alps, a lavine swept Luca Vuerich, a 34 years old climber from Tarvisio. Rescuers from Italy and Slovenia couldn't help to save his life, he died during the transportation to Udine hospital.

Luca was one of the best and most complete Italian climbers. He did many hard ascents in home mountains and also in Himalayas. He was also extreme skier, opening some extremely hard ski routes.

Condolence to his ...
Read more : Luca Vuerich is dead | Views : 2158 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558081 • Total topics 55846 • Total members 136707