It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:18 am

News News of Colorado

Site map of Colorado » Forum : Colorado

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.

Roky mt park technical gear nessecary

Hello everyone,
I am going to be spending the summer working at trail ridge in Rocky Mt National park. I am flying into Denver, so I'm limited on space. my question is should I bring an ice axe/ crampons or will they be unnecessary for most of the season. Also I'm wondering if my rope should come along (200' so it takes up a lot of space) (*note I'm not someone who climbs much for ...
Read more : Roky mt park technical gear nessecary | Views : 4135 | Replies : 2

4-Pass Backpack Loop

Hi All,

We are from AZ and a few of us are planning a backpack trip at 4-Pass Loop. The trip is planned for end of July/first of August. We plan to spend 3 nights and about 3 days on the trail. We've read about bears, but still need to find out what type of bears and how to handle a possible encounter. We have found the information online where certain areas are closed due ...
Read more : 4-Pass Backpack Loop | Views : 11709 | Replies : 13

Highest Home in Colorado

Off topic, maybe? But...

Something I've been thinking about for while is trying to find the highest elevation home in Colorado, which would undoubtedly make it the highest home in the USA.

After hours spent on Google Earth, I propose that this house is the highest in the state. The elevation here is 11,690 feet (quite close to treeline, as one can see in the satellite view).

https://goo.gl/maps/bFC4FfTHMxm

Now, I do have some parameters I've ...
Read more : Highest Home in Colorado | Views : 38386 | Replies : 13

Updated Fourteeners Elevations

Hey y'all, just a quick question: What's your thoughts on the updated elevations of Colorado's fourteeners? Start referring to the peaks with their updated elevations or keep using the "classic" elevations? (as in, Pikes Peak, is it 14,110' or 14,115'? Elbert - 14,433' or 14,440'?, etc.) Trying to decide whether or not to make the update for our 2017 Colorado Fourteeners calendar.

Thanks!
Todd
Read more : Updated Fourteeners Elevations | Views : 12012 | Replies : 18

Road conditions around Creede?

I'm trying to get a sense for how close to a few trailheads I could get early next week in an ordinary medium-clearance 4WD. Specifically, does anyone here know the plowing situation getting to Willow Creek (San Luis and friends), Sherman (Half Peak), or the road in to Rio Grande Reservoir (RGP)? This early spring is making me itch to get out into the hills.
Read more : Road conditions around Creede? | Views : 3097 | Replies : 0

RMNP: August or September?

I'm looking to go on my first family camping and hiking trip out West this year. We decided on just doing a week in Rocky Mountain National Park to keep logistics relatively simple with a 1 year old. My question for the locals/folks who have visited often: should we try for a week or two before Labor Day or a week or two after Labor Day? I've read some posts saying that September might actually ...
Read more : RMNP: August or September? | Views : 5299 | Replies : 3

Help a gentleman propose to his lady?

I need help thinking of/finding a perfect spot to ask my girlfriend for her hand in marriage. We're flying out to Colorado Springs (my hometown) on Tuesday and am planning on popping the question on Wednesday (Jan 20th).

She's no mountaineer so I'm looking for a shorter peak (we're coming from sea level, and I don't want her to be freezing/miserable on the summit) on the quieter side preferably within an hour or two from ...
Read more : Help a gentleman propose to his lady? | Views : 7737 | Replies : 15

Looking for a ~4 Day mountain backpack

My brother and I will be coming from Lakewood (Denver) and obviously don't mind driving a couple hours W/SW. We're looking for a multi-day hike that will take us up to the top of a mountain. Time of year will be July-ish. We're both beginner hikers I suppose, but both young, in shape and no stranger to the outdoors. Though real rock climbing is a no-go, anything short of that is fine. We'd like a ...
Read more : Looking for a ~4 Day mountain backpack | Views : 5293 | Replies : 7

Lone Pine entry

It seems to me that a few years ago, there was a forum entry on how to get to a place called "Lone Pine"... it's a small rock formation at the far eastern part of the Front Range, near Colorado Springs. It is on the same Ridge that Blodgett Peak is on, and is about 1 mile South of Blodgett. It sits above the large quarry to the west of Centennial and Vindicator, behind the ...
Read more : Lone Pine entry | Views : 4023 | Replies : 0

Beginner 14er

I have a friend who just moved to Colorado Springs and wants me to go down and take him up a 14er. Any recommendations as to the best bang for the buck as far as distance from Co Springs and feasibility for a newbie? He's in decent shape....but you know how that goes. It would be a day trip. Oh yeah....and time would be early-mid October so it's a bit weather dependant for him.
Read more : Beginner 14er | Views : 5294 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136499