It is currently Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:18 pm

News News of Colorado

Site map of Colorado » Forum : Colorado

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.

I need a new 3 day/2 night hike in Colorado.

We've been planning on doing HCW, Missour Lake to Fancy Pass, but realized we can't have a fire. We're hiking with a friend from CA, so we'd prefer a fire at night.

Any suggestions on 3d/2n hikes in CO? Don't have to be loops, but I'd prefer alpine views and camp fire capability.

Considering Buffalo Peaks or Lost Creek.
Read more : I need a new 3 day/2 night hike in Colorado. | Views : 3502 | Replies : 1

Mt Democrat - North Colouir

Anyone climbed recently North Colouir Mt Democrat - what's the current condition up there for climbing after all the storms in the last days?
Read more : Mt Democrat - North Colouir | Views : 3429 | Replies : 1

Shoes for the homestretch

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting here. I found this site recently and I am so glad I did. Great information.

I'm heading to RMNP in July and am going to attempt a summit of Longs Peak via the Keyhole Route. My question is regarding footwear. I plan to wear hiking boots for most of the climb. I have read that stickier climbing shoes would be helpful on the homestretch. Is it worth ...
Read more : Shoes for the homestretch | Views : 6606 | Replies : 7

Mid-June backpacking

Some friends and I were hoping to do the Four Pass Loop on June 17-20 due to the dry winter, but it's starting to look less and less likely with the late snow and recent weather conditions. We've already made travel plans to be in Colorado during that time period.

Do you have any recommendations on alternate 4-day backpacks in the state that would work well mid-June this year? We will be backpacking in RMNP ...
Read more : Mid-June backpacking | Views : 4157 | Replies : 1

Late May in the Mountains

I'm headed up to Denver later this week to spend some time outdoors. I have lot of experience hiking and backpacking down south (Arkansas), but have never touched the rockies. I was a bit suprised when I looked up weather and saw that most mountains still have feet of snow on them. I was hoping to climb some mountains, but I don't have gear or experience to do so in snow/ice.

I have 4 days ...
Read more : Late May in the Mountains | Views : 8886 | Replies : 9

Lost: Camera on Calypso (Eldorado Canyon)

I forgot my red Nikon point and shoot camera on the last (3rd) pitch of Calypso. It is at the entrance of the cave/hole at the top. It is has climbing tape on the sides and bottom to prevent from scratches. Please let me know if anybody finds it. You can keep the camera just give me the pictures!

Just Kidding... ;)
Read more : Lost: Camera on Calypso (Eldorado Canyon) | Views : 3002 | Replies : 0

Four-Pass Loop in late August?

Was planning on hitting up four pass loop this summer with some friends but it seems the only time we can all meet up is mid to late August. Would it be wise to try and hike this trail around this time (22-25th)?

Thanks...

Matt
Read more : Four-Pass Loop in late August? | Views : 7511 | Replies : 4

Anyone Recognize this peak?

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... irm_post=7

I can't find it, and it's driving me crazy. I've poured over google earth and cannot find it. I believe it's somewhere near Estes park/ Roosevelt National Forest...

Sry for the low res image, it's all I had.

Thanks all!
Read more : Anyone Recognize this peak? | Views : 3055 | Replies : 0

Leadville Area, Early June 2015

A group of us will be spending a few days around Leadville in early June. I've never been in that area that early in the year. We will be interested in non-technical day hiking and general sight-seeing like ghost towns and mines. What is this year looking like for snow conditions? Will 13ers and 14ers be hikeable in regular hiking boots? Other suggested day hikes? Will trailheads be accessible? 4WD roads? Cottonwood Pass area? Will ...
Read more : Leadville Area, Early June 2015 | Views : 4817 | Replies : 5

Otis Peak - East Ridge

Looking for some beta from anyone that has ascended or descended the east ridge of Otis. I'm considering using it as either an ascent or descent option from the CD this August.

The Mountain page has a reference to Lisa Foster's book and the route going Class 2. I am assuming there is a short bushwhack from/near Lake Haiyaha to reach the ridge. Just looking for some first hand feedback. The pic below is the ...
Read more : Otis Peak - East Ridge | Views : 4153 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558050 • Total topics 55845 • Total members 136646