It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:42 am

News News of Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Site map of Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast) » Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.

Winter Backpacking in the Adirondacks

Just wondering if there's any good trails over a few Mountains. My friends and I do a winter backpacking trip every year, and were going North Again! I know there's a trail that goes from Gothics to Marcy I think. I forget what its called. If anyone has information or good ideas of a traverse to do, please let me know! I'm just thinking like a 3 day walk too...
Read more : Winter Backpacking in the Adirondacks | Views : 3391 | Replies : 5

GSMNP 3 night loop suggestions

In January I would like to do a three night backpacking trip out of Deep Creek ranger station near Bryson City, preferably a loop of some sort. I would like to make it up to Clingmans Dome if possible. Any suggestions are appreciated. Jim
Read more : GSMNP 3 night loop suggestions | Views : 3133 | Replies : 5

Mt. Washington, The Whites, Adi's, Mountaineering Info?

I am looking for some challenging routes on Mt. Washington, in The Whites and Adirondacks. I would really like to get on some ice. I also here the Chimney on Katahdin is a nice route. Just moved back from Colorado for a couple years and looking to find some good eastern challenges. Anyone offering any beta on routes I should check out? Anyone want to climb?
Read more : Mt. Washington, The Whites, Adi's, Mountaineering Info? | Views : 4711 | Replies : 15

West Virginia Hiking/Trail Run

I'm thinking of meeting a friend in the spring somewhere in central West Virginia for a 20-25 miles hike/trail run. My first thought is New River Gorge near Fayetteville but I'm open to other areas. Any recommendation on a good trail? It could be a loop or an out-and-back, the only thing we need is a lot of hills (shouldn't be a problem) and a hotel no more than an hour/hour and a half away ...
Read more : West Virginia Hiking/Trail Run | Views : 1538 | Replies : 0

Colbert's Ridge Trail blazes. (in the Blacks)

I hiked Colbert Ridge Trail starting near the Hemlocks Recreation Area Saturday night.

Started the hike around 17:00. It was a peaceful, breezy night for a hike.

They changed the blazes from white to orange, which helps identifying them on snow blasted trees-- thanks for that :-)

Curiously though, the trail bares out in a clearing at the top and *all* blazes stop. I couldn't find a ...
Read more : Colbert's Ridge Trail blazes. (in the Blacks) | Views : 1822 | Replies : 2

Washington Ice?

When's it coming in? More to the point, when are Hunt and Tuck gonna be climbable?
Read more : Washington Ice? | Views : 5648 | Replies : 14

One Peak in the Catskills?

I have time to hike/scramble one peak in the Catskills this upcoming Monday. It will be my first trip to the Catskills. I am looking for peak recommendations. Which peaks and which routes are your favorites? Up to class 3 is okay, but I won't have crampons or ice axe. Up to 10 miles RT is okay. Thanks!
Read more : One Peak in the Catskills? | Views : 2328 | Replies : 2

What a difference a year makes...

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/ ... recast.php
Highs in the 40's!
A year ago (11/19 to be exact) I was in Huntington Ravine when it was -6 with 50mph winds.
Crazy!
Read more : What a difference a year makes... | Views : 1574 | Replies : 1

Adirondacks - challenging hike/secluded camping?

I'm looking for a challenging hike (2 days/1 night) that also offers secluded camping. No shelters needed. In a perfect world, the camp spot would have access to fishing but that's not necessary. Planning on going in late April. Recommendations? Many thanks.
Read more : Adirondacks - challenging hike/secluded camping? | Views : 8772 | Replies : 12

Hiking Mansfield in November

I was just wondering if anyone has ever climbed Mt. Mansfield in late November, or if anyone knows what the difficulty would be. Specifically, are crampons necessary?
Read more : Hiking Mansfield in November | Views : 2791 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558040 • Total topics 55845 • Total members 136627