It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:37 am

News News of Europe

Site map of Europe » Forum : Europe

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.

Chamonix long-term conditions trend?

I'm looking to head back to Chamonix in summer 2017 to climb for two weeks. We were climbing there late June/early July of 2015, and it was a heat-wave year where snow conditions were advanced by several weeks or a month compared to normal.

I've heard anecdotes that summer 2016 was also lean, so climbing earlier in the 2016 summer than normal was better. Is this accurate?

Obviously everything for summer 2017 depends on the ...
Read more : Chamonix long-term conditions trend? | Views : 2760 | Replies : 1

Alps in December/January

Which peaks in the Alps would make reasonable moderate ascents around Christmas time?

By moderate, I mean no technical gear other than basic glacier gear (rope, ice axe, crampons, etc.). I want to take the wife and kids so can't do anything really difficult. I wouldn't want anything with extreme avalanche danger either.

(We are thinking of 2017). I can't get time off in summer and the kids are in school in winter, except for ...
Read more : Alps in December/January | Views : 2919 | Replies : 2

Any 3000+ mountain without snow in Europe?

Can someone please suggest 3000+ peaks in Europe with little to no snow until late October? I am not really into climbing on snow right now, nor do I have crampons yet. Sorry for the stupid question, mods feel free to delete this thread if not suitable. Your feedback is much appreciated.
Read more : Any 3000+ mountain without snow in Europe? | Views : 5640 | Replies : 3

Your favourite glacier views or huts?

Hi everyone, I've done a couple of trips to the Alps and Dolomites and am planning a third. I don't climb much on these trips as I'm usually with my wife and/or kids but I was wondering if you have any suggestions for us. To give you an idea of where we've been here are my highlights from previous trips, I love big glaciers and big views :) ...
Read more : Your favourite glacier views or huts? | Views : 4222 | Replies : 7

trekking the Tatra's in October

Hey,
First time writing here. I am looking for information regarding trekking in the Tatra's in the beginning of Octber (first week). in addition, any recommended routes? was thinking about crossing from the polish side to the Slovak side.

which routes will offer the most dramatic views?
Read more : trekking the Tatra's in October | Views : 3245 | Replies : 1

Non-Technical Routes Spain/France November

Good day! I will be traveling in November to Spain to meet my girlfriend as she completes the Santiago Camino trail and would like to get in a few non-technical peaks. Timing will be early to mid November, prefer 3K+ meters and no glacier travel/technical climbing as I will be traveling by myself and winter has challenges all of it's own.

I will be both in Santiago and Paris and would love some recommendations for ...
Read more : Non-Technical Routes Spain/France November | Views : 2845 | Replies : 1

Recommendations for 4000m peaks -- Switzerland

I am planning a trip in Early September, and plan to take a guided climb of a 4000m peak. I am looking for recommendations for a peak that I can knock out in a day, starting from a nearby town.

My Alps experience thus far has been on unguided climbs:

Watzmann Ostwand
Grossglockner Studlgrat
Zugspitze Blaueis traverse

I feel comfortable climbing up to UIAA IV.

I have been out of the climbing game for awhile, ...
Read more : Recommendations for 4000m peaks -- Switzerland | Views : 5633 | Replies : 6

Zugspitze - Reintal Route - Münchner Haus Zugspitze - Reintal Route - Münchner Haus

Hello,

I'm planning to climb Zugspitze next month via the Reintal route. As the two huts on this route are fully booked up, I'm hoping to stay on the top at the Münchner Haus.

I had a few questions I hoped someone with knowledge might be able to answer? Namely:

- How easy/likely is it that you can stay at the top? I know they don't take reservations on weekends. I'm relying on staying here, ...
Read more : Zugspitze - Reintal Route - Münchner Haus | Views : 3844 | Replies : 4

Matterhorn Cresta del Leone Conditions

Has anyone here been in the Breuil-Cervinia area and/or seen the conditions on the Cresta del Leone / Liongrat recently? The local webcam shows some amount of snow, but it's of course not clear how that translates to conditions on-route.
Read more : Matterhorn Cresta del Leone Conditions | Views : 2678 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557981 • Total topics 55840 • Total members 136489