It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:54 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

Snow shovel blade for ice axe?

Chouinard Equipment used to make a snow shovel blade that attaches to the handle of an ice axe.

Does anyone else make one of these any more?

I did lots of Googling, and all I could find was this Japanese one:

http://www.mizo.co.jp/mountain/mc14_Molebunnri.html
Read more : Snow shovel blade for ice axe? | Views : 6695 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Gear

Clothing, Gear, & Books for Sale

I realized I have a lot of stuff laying around that I no longer use. There's no need for it to sit in my closet when it's perfectly usable for someone out there. Most of it is lightly used (some not at all!). Click on the link(s) for photos -- I can take more if you're interested. Buyer chooses and pays for shipping, unless you buy more than $50 worth, in which case I'll cover ...
Read more : Clothing, Gear, & Books for Sale | Views : 3234 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Gear

better "politically correct" or blunt

when I started to climb (last century/millennium) one of the first lessons I had to learn was :
never fear to be blunt, if your partner is not skilled enough for a route, tell him and, if he doesn't understand, leave him in the refuge to think ...
I remember one famous guide (a friend of mine) that once told me :
"I'm really bored to hoist some customers like they were potato sacks, ...
Read more : better "politically correct" or blunt | Views : 2404 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General

running: how much to begin with?

Not really an answer to your question, but how did you recover from the patellar femoral syndrome?
Read more : running: how much to begin with? | Views : 6346 | Replies : 17 | Forum : Technique and Training

best sleeping bag for Denali Natl Park

for a guy looking to do early season alpine climbing on the Ruth Glacier and Denali eventually, what would you guys recommend as the best sleeping bag?

down? synthetic?
0 degrees? -10? -20?

on this last trip i would frozen my nuts off if i had not had a feathered friends icefall parka to sleep in as the bag i borrowed was NOT well cared for.

i know this has to be probably the 100th ...
Read more : best sleeping bag for Denali Natl Park | Views : 2656 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Gear

S.American volcanos blow

Pacaya volcano in Guatemala and Tungurahua volcano in Ecuador both erupted today. :!:

Source.
Read more : S.American volcanos blow | Views : 1605 | Replies : 2 | Forum : News

Overboots with single boots

I was wondering if anybody out there has experience with adding 40 below overboots to their single boots to boost their warmth in colder winter conditions. I have a pair of Trango Extremes which are great down to about 0 and then my feet start getting chilled. Just wondering if anybody had a rough estimate of what kind of temperature range can be gained.

In this situation I would be wearing Vapor barrier socks to ...
Read more : Overboots with single boots | Views : 6181 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Gear

Glacier Glasses?

So I'm taking an intro climbing course next month. I need to get glasses for glacier travel. My local outdoor chain store has, apparently, discontinued their line of glacier glasses. What kind of proetection do I need in a pair of glasses for glacier travel in sunny conditions. Will UVA and UVB protection do? Or do I need IR protection too? What should I be looking for in a pair of glasses?
Read more : Glacier Glasses? | Views : 2954 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Gear

Need backpack to carry essentials

My son’s going car camping with his friends. Most of the gear would be stowed in the car. He needs a backpack/daypack that he can carry a few essentials in.
Read more : Need backpack to carry essentials | Views : 3686 | Replies : 11 | Forum : Gear

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557954 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136418