It is currently Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:22 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

Technical climbing at altitude

I'm slowly coming to terms with the possibility that technical routes above about 12000' are not realistic for me. Despite my best attempts at acclimatization, usually by 13000' I'm moving extremely slowly. Scrambling and snow-climbing seems to work out, if I schedule enough time .. but I can't imagine trying to lead, say, 5.7 feeling like that.

I've read that the autonomic nervous system is routed through the upper spinal cord, above T6 (my injury ...
Read more : Technical climbing at altitude | Views : 24702 | Replies : 99 | Forum : Technique and Training

A guide to mountain climbing photography

Hi,

after my trip to the Cordillera Blanca, last June, I wrote a guide to carrying and operating a DSLR on a climbing expedition. It covers many things: what gear to take, how to manage memory and battery, how to carry the gear and not drop it, how to expose properly, what makes a good image, etc...

It has now been published on the website luminous-landscape.com, and I thought many people here would be interested: ...
Read more : A guide to mountain climbing photography | Views : 18419 | Replies : 27 | Forum : General

Show your heart with a card (MS) - Update + THANKS!

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some support for a friend of mine who suffers from MS. There’s a lot of things he could use but first and foremost, he needs some encouragement and needs to know people are thinking about him. Sending him a card would be a great gesture and will take 5 minutes of your time and a stamp. Before you move on and click somewhere else, please think about the difference you ...
Read more : Show your heart with a card (MS) - Update + THANKS! | Views : 7710 | Replies : 40 | Forum : General

Instacure for Poisen Ivy

A "friend" accidently wiped, using of all things, two poisen ivy leaves. Long story short, my "friend" was in a really bad way. (I'd be laughing hard right now, if I didn't see the rash for myself first hand)

It took us two days of driving, but we got there.

We brought him/her to the beach and had them soak in the ocean water for a half hour.

Tada! No more poisen ivy! It was ...
Read more : Instacure for Poisen Ivy | Views : 20487 | Replies : 14 | Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Problem with GPS

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx and lately it's been giving me some strange results. Things like 12 mile trips are being logged as 60 mile trips. When I download the track info I see that some of the data points are all over the board, and some point-to-point data says I was traveling at ridiculous speeds (150+ mph) for brief periods of time. Anybody have similar issues or know what the problem might ...
Read more : Problem with GPS | Views : 7969 | Replies : 43 | Forum : Gear

DMM 'camalots'

Stole this off cc.com ..

http://www.dmmclimbing.com/news.asp?nid=216&ngroup=1

Familiar design, eh ? They will call them the Dragons.
Read more : DMM 'camalots' | Views : 7295 | Replies : 19 | Forum : Gear

What mountains are on your list?

This has probably been mentioned before, but what mountains are on your list to climb, and why?
Read more : What mountains are on your list? | Views : 17617 | Replies : 64 | Forum : General

Goals/how to become a Mountaineer

So, I have decided to make a list of places to make goals to climb. As a little introduction, I live in the Pittsburgh area, and I am 17 and have a decent amount of climbing/belaying experience through school. I have read the Freedom of the Hills. I have also marked my first goal as to complete a climb of Mt. Washington with the IMCS three day course. Based on my skill level and age, ...
Read more : Goals/how to become a Mountaineer | Views : 27348 | Replies : 40 | Forum : General

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558046 • Total topics 55845 • Total members 136634