It is currently Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:09 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

Pulse Oximetry - Aconcagua - Is it needed?

I am a EMT and planning to hike Aconcagua. I am taking care of the medical side of things for me and my climbing partner.

Do you think that a pulse oximeter is helpful to carry? Or should i just stick to the lines of if you can walk and talk, your doing ok?

What would be the lowest that you should expect a pulse oximetry at the summit?
Read more : Pulse Oximetry - Aconcagua - Is it needed? | Views : 7961 | Replies : 12 | Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Now I love Snickers....

But the idea of of Snickers, GU, and freeze dried meals of 7 days makes my teeth hurt. My partner and I are going on a 7 day trek and are looking for other food options. We are looking at powdered milk for our oatmeal and tea, maybe some things like bagels and poptarts that we don't have to cook for some days. Long story short, we are open for suggestions and comments about what ...
Read more : Now I love Snickers.... | Views : 19491 | Replies : 47 | Forum : Technique and Training

The Passing Of A Dear Friend.....Brutus Of Wyde

Dear friends, it is my deepest regret, with tears in my eyes, to tell you all that Bruce Bindner (aka 'Brutus Of Wyde') has passed from this life and onto the next. Bruce was on his way tonight to meet me to climb Castle Rock Spire in Sequoia National Park when his car went off the road and was killed instantly. As I sit here emotionally exhausted, I find it hard to put into words ...
Read more : The Passing Of A Dear Friend.....Brutus Of Wyde | Views : 22677 | Replies : 84 | Forum : General

Kiwi Coil Question - Shortening the Rope

When shortening up the rope between you and your partner (alpine/glacier situations), it seems the kiwi coil is an easy way to do it. I noticed that after you make your kiwi coil, any pull from your partner is now going to be transferred less from your harness and more on your upper body, which may throw you off balance.

Is there a remedy for this? Something to put the pull back onto your harness? ...
Read more : Kiwi Coil Question - Shortening the Rope | Views : 17643 | Replies : 16 | Forum : Technique and Training

HELP! altitude sickness (ams) and malaria meds

i'm headed to climb kilimanjaro in about a month. though the mt itself isn't a major concern for malaria, i'll be spending plenty of time exploring in more risky areas. my question is: what malaria prophylaxis is the best, or has anyone used. i've noticed that many of the side effects of some of the meds are the same as altitude sickness and, i it's possible, i'd sure like to be able to distinguish if ...
Read more : HELP! altitude sickness (ams) and malaria meds | Views : 4225 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

double plastic boots for north col Everest

I'm trying to decide on the boots for North Col Everest expedition. This is will be May
expedition that it's slightly warmer then April one and Koflach double plastic boots
are recommended by the expedition web site.

Main use of these boots for this expedition is the climb from advanced base camp to North
Col and back. Which is first walking on the rock to the crampon point and then snow/ice
climbing on 20-45 degree ...
Read more : double plastic boots for north col Everest | Views : 16912 | Replies : 31 | Forum : Gear

Sharpening Crampons

Hi,

This last weekend I was on the Whitney Main Trail. What should have been a rigorous hike up the many switchbacks turned into a good amount of snow travel across snow fields covering a number of them due to several straight days of blizzard and lightning storm conditions, including the day I went up (chased us back down from Trail Crest). Since some of the covered switchbacks were close together, ended up leaving my ...
Read more : Sharpening Crampons | Views : 7054 | Replies : 18 | Forum : Gear

Medicine For a First Aid Kit

I went through my First Aid Kits lastnight and got rid of the stuff that expired. I was wondering where the best place to replenish my supplies. Also anyone know where to get a suture kit?
Read more : Medicine For a First Aid Kit | Views : 13849 | Replies : 32 | Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Edurne Pasaban makes her 12th 8000 !!

Edurne makes her 12th 8000m reaching Kangchenjunga summit !!

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/20 ... 51151.html

http://www.desnivel.com/object.php?o=18509

:D
Read more : Edurne Pasaban makes her 12th 8000 !! | Views : 13845 | Replies : 41 | Forum : News

Next pet peeve - belay technique!!!

Ok, now that we have spewed about helmet preferences, I want to air a little about my pet peeve. I hate having to pick the pieces up and carry people out from the crags and so I open my mouth about belay technique all the time. Much of the problem is with people being taught at the gym and what will hold a 5' fall will NOT hold a 25' fall. I see people holding ...
Read more : Next pet peeve - belay technique!!! | Views : 45675 | Replies : 76 | Forum : Technique and Training

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558046 • Total topics 55845 • Total members 136639