It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:08 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

down sleeping bag storage

Is there a reason not to store down bags fully compressed? I like having my gear ready to go when I need it to be rather than all over the place. Thanks.
Read more : down sleeping bag storage | Views : 14807 | Replies : 24 | Forum : Gear

Prusiks for 8 mil rope

Getting a new Beal 8MM rope (glacier travel) and wondering what size cordelette will work best for prusik's....6mm? or am I going to have to go smaller? Keep in mind they rope may be wet and iced.
Read more : Prusiks for 8 mil rope | Views : 21060 | Replies : 12 | Forum : Gear

Antibotts

I've read of some SP members making their own antibotts from juice bottles & ties/ ducttape. I'd like to make my own for a pair of BD contacts. Does anyone have a photo of they can post of their handiwork?
Read more : Antibotts | Views : 7347 | Replies : 21 | Forum : Technique and Training

Nevado del Huila erupts in Columbia

NEIVA, Colombia - Thousands of people were evacuated after a long-dormant volcano erupted late Tuesday and again early Wednesday, provoking avalanches and floods that swept away houses and bridges.

The Nevado del Huila volcano's eruptions were its first on record since Colombia was colonized by the Spanish 500 years ago.

There are about 10,000 people living in the area around the volcano, and about 3,500 had been evacuated, Luz Amanda Pulido, director of the national ...
Read more : Nevado del Huila erupts in Columbia | Views : 1934 | Replies : 1 | Forum : News

The importance of a tent

How important is it for you? D'you think it rises the temperature a lot :?: Or is it better for protect from humidity, precipitations and wind :?:

BTW, any good, waterproof and light tent for two :?: Sold in Europe please
Read more : The importance of a tent | Views : 25798 | Replies : 63 | Forum : Gear

What wind speed will stop you from falling down?

In another thread it was asked “what wind speed will knock you down?” It may also be of interest to ask “what wind speed will stop you from falling down?” - Or how much can you lean into the wind for a given wind speed?

Picture credit: Stefan Berg
Read more : What wind speed will stop you from falling down? | Views : 19136 | Replies : 41 | Forum : General

Summitpost Rated Top Climbing Website in Top 100

Summitpost has now been rated the top climbing website by http://www.top100climbing.com
We knew that already - no surprise.
Read more : Summitpost Rated Top Climbing Website in Top 100 | Views : 14028 | Replies : 26 | Forum : News

Mountaineering music worthy of notice

Share the music that remindes you of "the feeling" you get in the mountains.
One of my favorites is here
http://www.midwinteronline.de/MP3/Midwinter_-_Realm_Of_Slumber.mp3
This masterpiece makes one think of a fearsome and snowy landscape.
Read more : Mountaineering music worthy of notice | Views : 38753 | Replies : 143 | Forum : General

STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Is there any group of "highpointers" (people climbing the highest point in each state) here on SP? It would be fun to hear some of your stories!

My daughter and I got into "highpointing" (a goofy word, I know) when she was 11. Just for kicks I took her up the highest hill in her home state of Maryland. We met a highpointer on the way down. Cypress was intrigued, and climbing mountains has become ...
Read more : STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS | Views : 391574 | Replies : 1645 | Forum : General

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136498