It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:35 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

Obituary for Konrad Mierendorff

My colleague and friend Konrad Mierendorff died on Saturday August 7th 2021 after a fall on the Wasenhorn, Switzerland. Konrad was a gifted Economist, both as a researcher and a teacher. He loved the mountains and was on his own journey into Alpine climbing. Never someone to rashly take risk, to act without considering and preparing, I knew him as always kind and considerate. We talked about hiking and climbing occasionally, but talk about work ...
Read more : Obituary for Konrad Mierendorff | Views : 5733 | Replies : 2 | Forum : News

"Forbidden" error?

Has anyone gotten a "403 Forbidden" error when accessing Summitpost? I was using my normal home google account and accessed the site one minute. The very next minute it told me "403 Forbidden" and I have not been able to get into Summitpost again from that account. I'm unsure why it changed and why I can't access the site using that account but still can using my other (school) account which I don't wnat to ...
Read more : "Forbidden" error? | Views : 3712 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General

Mountaineering "Up and Over"

I'm looking for accounts of difficult summits that were climbed up alpine style and then down a different route.

Sort of a "functional" mountaineering. Book titles would be great.

Thanks.
Read more : Mountaineering "Up and Over" | Views : 5209 | Replies : 9 | Forum : General

Loops in the Palisades; is this insane?

I'm looking for a backpacking loop in the Palisades. I came across this old article in Backpacker magazine: https://www.backpacker.com/trips/kings- ... palisades/

The route given goes over 5 passes, and includes quite specific waypoints:

WPT001
WPT002
Knapsack Pass
WPT003
Thunderbolt Pass
WPT004
Scimitar Pass
WPT005
Jigsaw Pass

So, I started making maps and HOLY LEVITATION BATMAN, ...
Read more : Loops in the Palisades; is this insane? | Views : 1722 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General

La Sportiva G2 Evo vs. Scarpa Phantom 6000

I'm looking at a choice between these boots initially for Aconcagua.
If anyone has hands-on (feet-in) experience with both boots I'd love to hear your views on how they compare.

Also, can anyone comment on sizing: for a regular street shoe I wear a 43/UK9, what size should I be going for in each of these boots?
That might sound like a stupid question (I should just go and try them on) but I live ...
Read more : La Sportiva G2 Evo vs. Scarpa Phantom 6000 | Views : 13560 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Gear

crampons snagging on pants

I have a general crampon question: I've heard that one main issue with learning to use crampons is their snagging and slicing your pants. Is this usually the front points or the secondary points at the front and sides?
Read more : crampons snagging on pants | Views : 4247 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General

knot testing

Does anyone have a break test bed? I want to get some rappel knots tested in 9mm rope.
Read more : knot testing | Views : 1667 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Gear

Hiker Killed After Falling 500 ft From Mt Russell, CA

Fatalty on 14,088 ft Mt Russell's Summit in Sequoia NP in the Sierras of California - 500 ft Fall - RIP

https://snowbrains.com/sequoia-national ... -fatality/
Read more : Hiker Killed After Falling 500 ft From Mt Russell, CA | Views : 3863 | Replies : 1 | Forum : News

Special Gift Climb Trip

Hello everyone, for a special occasion I would like to go on a climbing trip outside of Europe. We are Italian and we have no problems as a time of the year and we will have ten days at our disposal. We like to climb limestone cliffs on overhanging walls. Degree of difficulty 7a - 7c. Which country do you recommend? An unmissable place.

They told me that climbing in Thailand can be annoying because ...
Read more : Special Gift Climb Trip | Views : 1190 | Replies : 0 | Forum : News

Slab/Low Angle Multipitch Shoe Recommendation for Wide Feet?

Can anyone here with a wide asymmetric foot recommend a good shoe for lower angle climbs? (Being in Southern California, I mainly climb on granite with lots of little crystals and tiny edges, and a decent amount of friction smearing). I recently got Scarpa Instinct Laces for steeper stuff but am looking for a better shoe for lower angle stuff and longer climbs.

I recently tried Anasazi VCS and sadly the toe box is just ...
Read more : Slab/Low Angle Multipitch Shoe Recommendation for Wide Feet? | Views : 1528 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Gear

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557992 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136504