It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 2:28 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Today’s lesson:

If you’re going to clip your approach shoes to the back of your harness, use a LOCKING Carabiner!
Otherwise while you’re belaying and bracing your back against the wall you might inadvertently drop them.

Bummer.
Read more : Today’s lesson: | Views : 1385 | Replies : 4

Mountaineering in Antarctica by Damien Gildea

Explorersweb has a fascinating article on Damien's new book Mountaineering in Antarctica - Climbing in the Frozen South 8)
http://www.explorersweb.com/everest_k2/ ... p?id=19745
Read more : Mountaineering in Antarctica by Damien Gildea | Views : 2894 | Replies : 7

alpinist magazine back issues

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone out there, new the value of back issue alpinist magazines, especially copies of 0,2,and 11? They seem to be getting rare, and I am considering parting with my collection.

Thanks
Read more : alpinist magazine back issues | Views : 7774 | Replies : 10

New article

Hello SPers!

Well, i don't know if there is a special place here for threads like this, so i started this one, if it's wrong, please move it to the right place okay? :P

The objective of this thread is simple, just to tell folks, friends here at SP that i wrote an small article about how i became a mountaineer. And as i wrote the names ...
Read more : New article | Views : 2025 | Replies : 2

Listening to music while climbing?

While I can understand people with thier headphones in while atop small,popular, undangerous mountains, but I saw about ten people climbing The Trough on Longs Peak while listening to music this summer on the way down. I asked one guy why, he told me for motivation, but as anyone who's climbed Longs Peak knows, avoiding rockfall in the trough is pretty good motivation in itself!!! You cannot hear people screaming ROCK!!! when youre blasting ACDC ...
Read more : Listening to music while climbing? | Views : 25284 | Replies : 42

Sattelite Internet

Anyone got any information on compact internet connection . I am sure I saw someone with a unit comprising solar panel for power and a small satellite dish plugged into the computer. Unit appeared to be small enough to fit in a rucksack and hump up to base camp. Cant find it on the internet tho. Any help gratefully received
Read more : Sattelite Internet | Views : 1002 | Replies : 3

Happy Summitpost Birthday to me!

I just looked at my profile- today marks 7 years on SP. My how the time flies.

Thanks you everyone and elves for this great resource! I know I have brief periods of activity followed by longer periods of inactivity- but you are always on my mind and stored away in my heart.

Just a note of thank you for everyone's time and inspiration. As the saying goes about learning from your (and other's) mistakes, ...
Read more : Happy Summitpost Birthday to me! | Views : 1976 | Replies : 5

Photography- using climbing gear for props

So I am expecting my second child in the next few weeks. Looking at my profile pic you can tell I love to take my kids outdoors :D (seriously, my almost 4 year old daughter wants to go winter camping this year... but I digress).

I am looking for fun ideas of photos to take with my new born son. Something that contrasts the beauty and ...
Read more : Photography- using climbing gear for props | Views : 1696 | Replies : 1

Well I did it

It finally happened. I am now a paying gym member. A friend of ours started going to a gym here and lo and behold suddenly my husband wants to join it to. I haven't gone yet but we got a tour when we were looking into it. I was wondering what anyone thought would be the most beneficial thing to do there. Sorry I'm completely unfamiliar with gyms, I always got my exercise and training ...
Read more : Well I did it | Views : 2135 | Replies : 10

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558004 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136531