It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:48 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

LOST: Ski pokes + crampon bag LAKE COMO/LITTLE BEAR

Ski Poles (Leki) and crampon bag (Black Diamond) were lost above Lake Como at the start of the normal route to Little Bear. Please send me an e-mail at tobe945 at gmail.com if you believe you have them. Thanks!
Read more : LOST: Ski pokes + crampon bag LAKE COMO/LITTLE BEAR | Views : 1082 | Replies : 0

Climbing for charities

Has anyone ever climbed for a charity before? After hearing about "summit on the summit" (http://www.summitonthesummit.com/#/intro), I thought it'd be interesting to hear some of your experiences. Was it different than a regular climb? what cause did you take on and why? How did you find out about the charity? what did you do to fundraise? Anyways - look forward to hearing some cool stories.
Read more : Climbing for charities | Views : 1722 | Replies : 7

Garmin 24k Topo Map and Hikes in Estes

Garmin indicates that on their 24k scale topo maps they include trail maps. Some of the reviews I have read indicate that the number of trail maps is limited. We are traveling to CO in July and maybe hiking Yale and Harvard. Can anyone tell me if these topo maps have these trails on them and what is your opinion.

Second, visiting Estes in July. Any recommended hikes. Looking for 2-4 hour hike which would ...
Read more : Garmin 24k Topo Map and Hikes in Estes | Views : 1696 | Replies : 2

Cycle Touring and Climbing

Several years ago I discovered cycle touring and it's really become my main focus these days. Now I find myself missing the time in the back country and plan to combine them in the next year. I know Corax has done quite a bit of this stuff, but is anyone else into it ? Care to discuss it ?
Read more : Cycle Touring and Climbing | Views : 6397 | Replies : 12

Death or the summit?

Obviously, most of us are too prudent and too cautious to even consider this question. But, is there a part of you that admires mountaineers who would rather die than give up, turn back or surrender to a mountain? I certainly admire the fearless and the crazy brave.
Read more : Death or the summit? | Views : 28519 | Replies : 48

Questionable volcano authority

Given the events in Iceland recently, you may find the following story to be very interesting:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... ioned.html
Read more : Questionable volcano authority | Views : 984 | Replies : 3

What does "we" mean to you?

Nor here....

Read more : What does "we" mean to you? | Views : 2064 | Replies : 8

Downloading Maps onto GPS

Just got a new Garmin Oregon 450t. In four weeks hiking Mt. Yale in CO and wanted to download the trail map. What are good sites to get this information and how does it compare to the 1:100 topo maps currently loaded on the Garmin. Thanks for your input.
Read more : Downloading Maps onto GPS | Views : 2164 | Replies : 5

Mount Hood, OR

Hey guys, I am planning to climb Mount Hood in mid Aug. 2010. Do I really need a guide? or is a easy route to follow? I have my GPS always, and use it well.
what you guys think about the climb at that time of the year?

Also, the same week I want to climb Boundary Peak in Nevada, but planning to sleep on top if weather permits. This is going to be my ...
Read more : Mount Hood, OR | Views : 3882 | Replies : 10

Mt. Hood Attempt - Experienced Mountaineer Wanted

Ok – I have a group of folks that will likely end up being 9 to 11 people in total, all beginner mountaineers. All of us are in great shape, and have various degrees of experience in things such as rock climbing or mountaineering but nobody in the group can be qualified as an expert or even intermediate mountaineer. I am really looking to find someone interested in coming along with the group to help ...
Read more : Mt. Hood Attempt - Experienced Mountaineer Wanted | Views : 19713 | Replies : 63

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136501