It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:46 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Advice to a new climber

Hello All!

It has been some time since I posted, but I have an honest question to ask...

I spoke to a guy today, he was referred to me by a mutual friend that shared with him my previous climbing stories. He has never climbed before but thinks he might like to give Mt. Rainier a try as his first outing. I recommended that he start with something else, perhaps Mt. Washington in the winter ...
Read more : Advice to a new climber | Views : 29047 | Replies : 98

Short Stories

Here are a couple of my short stories for your enjoyment. The first, entitled "The Life of a Backpack" is one that I originally posted sometime ago. The second is called "A Night in a Little Yellow Tent.

The Life of a Backpack

Thinking back now, it all began for me many years ago while hanging on a rack in a camping supply store. I was new, a bright red color and with plenty of ...
Read more : Short Stories | Views : 1892 | Replies : 3

Snowshoes on Mt. Blanc this time of year?

Hey everyone,

A couple friends and I are planning to climb the Arete des Cosmiques and a route on the Triangle May 13th and 14th. We were hoping we wouldn't have to lug our snowshoes from the States; can anyone let us know if the trails to the bases of each climb would be packed out enough to travel without snowshoes? We're staying at the Refuge des Cosmiques the night of the 12th and 13th. ...
Read more : Snowshoes on Mt. Blanc this time of year? | Views : 1919 | Replies : 5

Hooray to awesome partners

I just wanted to say:

Nothing better than having awesome supportive climbing partners, the spirit, positivity and comadereship through thick and thin is what makes climbing and living so exciting.

Thanks!
Read more : Hooray to awesome partners | Views : 4408 | Replies : 25

The Mud has hit the fan.

Wow I just got a call from Ryan ..... Pyro as he is known on ST. (he got his name after his real campfire got out of control at the base of HD..... prompting a "smokejumping effort" by the NPS and a trip to the judge and a ban from YNP..... but I digress. )

The whole crew went to Echo Cliffs on Sunday, I missed out- was racing.

The NPS, Santa Monica National Park, ...
Read more : The Mud has hit the fan. | Views : 9382 | Replies : 58

Great picture of Mt Everest

Check this one: go to www.nytimes.com/travel and click on " Joys of the Windows Seat." In the middle of the page with the photos, there is a dramatic shot of Everest. I tried to download & save this great picture for my desktop/screen-saver but was unable. Any suggestions on how to succeed?

JanG
Read more : Great picture of Mt Everest | Views : 5942 | Replies : 14

Need beginner advice -Shasta vs Rainier.

Hello All,

Please help me settle a debate with my camping/backpacker buddy of mine.

We're looking to start mountaineering. Neither of us had done anything like this before. We've done a dozen or so three to four day backpacker trip as well as some canoeing, here in Texas, Arkansas, and OK. But never attemped a mountaineering trip. We're both in resonable shape.

The question is should we cut our teeth on something like Mt Shasta ...
Read more : Need beginner advice -Shasta vs Rainier. | Views : 43201 | Replies : 62

Need help with lyrics

Hello,

I am working on an obituary. For this I would need the lyrics of this song from the seventies.

It is pretty difficult to understand; here's what I could figure out. Any help appreciated.

(I guess every second line of the verse should rhyme with the previous.)

ty
Michael

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Khz11pzSA

What does it mean when stands the river
* What's a lake that fails to ... [~ there ...
Read more : Need help with lyrics | Views : 2624 | Replies : 8

Read more : ... | Views : 492 | Replies : 1

Google Earth in 3D

cool stuff !! The mountains look cool. Seems like a major security threat to me, tho' when I went to Washington DC.........
Read more : Google Earth in 3D | Views : 3113 | Replies : 8

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136423