It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:10 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

How to get certified as a climbing instructor?

There is a local scout group who wants to earn the climbing merit badge, and since I climb they thought that I could teach them But apparently you have to be a certified climbing instructor, so my question is, How do you get certified?
Read more : How to get certified as a climbing instructor? | Views : 2254 | Replies : 8

Lets See Your Skills...

Read more : Lets See Your Skills... | Views : 5775 | Replies : 20

Backcountry Recipes

Hey we need some help. I am trying to build a resource for cooking in the Mountains and we need some recipes.

Add one of your favorite to: http://www.summitpost.org/article/60226 ... tains.html

Add recipes by going to the Dinner, Lunch or Breakfast Recipes and click on Custom Objects and then click “create new”
Read more : Backcountry Recipes | Views : 1920 | Replies : 4

Our American "Blank Spots"

If we were to hang a map on the wall and put a tack in all the places I've either visited, climbed or hiked, there would be some "blank spots" on it with few or no tacks. It would be different for every person.

Anyway, here are my blanks spots for the western United States highlighted in red:

The orange dots represent the places I have lived either permanently or for extended periods of ...
Read more : Our American "Blank Spots" | Views : 1946 | Replies : 6

Optical phenomena in the mountains

It's interesting, thanks mate. D'you know there is a page about them here in SP :?:
Read more : Optical phenomena in the mountains | Views : 1077 | Replies : 3

M (Mixed) Ratings

So I've seen very little on this, apart from some very general discussions, mostly applying to the ratings once you get to doing the extreme overhanging routes such as those found in Wyoming or Utah.

<b>Does anyone have any knowledge into how to classify this rating system? </b>

I've been doing some dry-tooling/mixed climbing in Utah, Tahoe and the Bay Area, but I've had no idea how to classify the routes! I can definitely attest, ...
Read more : M (Mixed) Ratings | Views : 1327 | Replies : 2

A Gathering of Mortality...

I don't know how appropriate it is for me to draw attention to an article of my own making, but it has to do with an issue that sooner or later (hopefully the latter!) will affect us all. Life and death, climbing and not climbing, mountains or naught...it'll eventually be all too real. Which it is for me. Now. How does one share this sort of thing? Emotional, tough stuff—quite difficult to set down in ...
Read more : A Gathering of Mortality... | Views : 1262 | Replies : 5

Solo Suggestions

As a teacher I enjoy a large chunk of time off in the summer months. Currently, I am looking for suggestions or ideas for how to spend July 2010. My climbing/travel partner will not be able to join me so I am looking for a trip that could be done on my own. I am open to pretty much anywhere in the world if the idea is badass enough.
Read more : Solo Suggestions | Views : 3557 | Replies : 8

Child Endangerment Charges - Revy Avalanche

The parents of a seven year old who was caught in the avalanche at Revelstoke may be charged with child endangerment.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/a-mothers-worst-nightmare-come-true/article1506780/

This could have far reaching consequences as far as taking your children (and friends)into the backcountry or engaging in any "risky" outdoor activity.

The guy should never have taken a minor into such a risky situation but do we need to make an example out of him in order to get people to ...
Read more : Child Endangerment Charges - Revy Avalanche | Views : 5529 | Replies : 32

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557954 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136420