It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:00 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Riding High

The "New Yorker" ,Feb. 15,2010 , has an interesting article ,Riding High , about the current training of mountain troops to use pack mules at the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center at Pickle Meadows at the eastern base of Sonora pass.
Read more : Riding High | Views : 978 | Replies : 2

How high have you been?

I'm new and just starting out, but I have figured that within the next 3 years (climbing months June - Sept.) I will summit 100 peaks. Based on the summit heights that will be
1,191,866 feet high or 226 miles up. NOT elevation gain but,... Whitney is 14,505, so if you hike it twice then the number is 29,010 feet. For those of who've done this for decades your numbers must be staggering! What are ...
Read more : How high have you been? | Views : 5044 | Replies : 28

New Marmot Temp Ratings

The 2010 models are out, and Marmot really brought their A-game! It would appear that when converting to ºF, Marmot still uses * 9/5 part, but their researchers have come up with a way to eliminate the +32. For example, the new ratings for the Helium:

* Comfort
-4.3F / -2.4C
* Lower Limit
-15.7F / -8.7C
* Extreme
-48.6F / -27C

Forget Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends - I'm getting a Helium! Under 2lb ...
Read more : New Marmot Temp Ratings | Views : 1172 | Replies : 2

Hi res photo downloads

Hello all climbers. I am currently serving in Afghanistan wiht the Georgia Army National Guard's 48th IBCT and looking at some of the great photos of the hindu kush mountains. I am working on a poster for our command group which they wish to use a photo of the hindu kush mountains, and some of those I have seen here look great and I would like to get the hi resolution version of some of ...
Read more : Hi res photo downloads | Views : 1609 | Replies : 3

Norwegian Sunrise

I just found this video. It's flying over the mountains in Norway at sunrise.
http://vimeo.com/8736190
Read more : Norwegian Sunrise | Views : 1313 | Replies : 6

old trip report/article circa 70's from AK??

Quite some time ago (maybe 6 mos or more) I remember seeing a Denali (I think), old one, bunch of old mountain hard doods. Can't seem to find it now, anyone know what i'm thinking of, or know where to find it?
Read more : old trip report/article circa 70's from AK?? | Views : 2931 | Replies : 5

Messner Video

Not sure if this is new or not.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/126230/messner

(sorry, this was already posted in a earlier thread)
Read more : Messner Video | Views : 1771 | Replies : 1

Re: Messner Documentary on Hulu

squishy wrote:
Reinhold Messner, the world’s greatest mountain climber, looks back over his career with surprising candor and self-revelation

46 minutes

http://www.hulu.com/watch/126230/messner

Thanks squishy. I've read the books and seen the pics from these epic climbs. It's great to see the footage.
Read more : Re: Messner Documentary on Hulu | Views : 5758 | Replies : 16

Nanga Parbat: the movie

ImageCharles and I just had the pleasure of seeing the new film Nanga Parbat, which tells the story of the ill-fated 1970 German expedition where Günther Messner died on the descent with his brother. Reinhold Messner was highly involved in the production of the film which has caused controversy and re-opened old wounds. (Read about it here)

But as far as the film goes, we enjoyed it. Maybe it was made from his point of ...
Read more : Nanga Parbat: the movie | Views : 7262 | Replies : 11

A Note For All Of Summitpost's Great Photographers

Good Morning:

I am a pointandshootaramus. I know nothing of photography and really should given the fortune of my location. I would like to learn more about digital photography in the coming months. At the end of April I will be back working and living in Wyoming right beneath the spectacular South Absaroka Wall until mid November or so. I hope to take a couple of 4 day backpacks later in the season, but other ...
Read more : A Note For All Of Summitpost's Great Photographers | Views : 4831 | Replies : 16

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557954 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136420