It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 3:22 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Photos from Barry Blanchard's site

Saw this linked from Dougald MacDonald's Mountain World blog, a nice set of photos from the first ascent of the North Pillar of North Twin:

http://www.barryblanchard.ca/northtwin
Read more : Photos from Barry Blanchard's site | Views : 2083 | Replies : 4

If you ran the AAC...

Last week there was an AAC survey notice e-mailed out (mentioned and linked in an earlier forum post). I dutifully filled it out and sent it in, but it got me thinking about how I would really like to see the organization change. What are your thoughts? How would those of you who are members or past members do thing differently if you were put in charge? My initial thoughts are below.

Insurance: I would ...
Read more : If you ran the AAC... | Views : 5654 | Replies : 21

Perched synclinals

I'm thinking about making a list on SP that collects all mountains & rocks which match the definition of a "perched synclinals". I've found a few in Europe, but I'm open to more examples around the world to know if it's worth to start such list !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncline
Read more : Perched synclinals | Views : 5280 | Replies : 20

SMI Winter Travel and Anchors

Can anyone comment on how this course will prepare you for bigger mountains. Would the skills learned be enough for Rainier or is this just a starting point.

I am thinking of thinking of the 2 day weekend that covers snow travel and anchors for crevasse rescue.

Thanks
Read more : SMI Winter Travel and Anchors | Views : 2095 | Replies : 2

Career change?

So I have done a number of things in my life to earn my keep including being a guide, scientist, carpenter and currently software developer. The software gig is pretty cushy - 10 weeks paid leave a year, ok health benefits, and good pay. The only down side to writing software is I don't like it and am not good at it.

IN considering a midlife career change the only jobs that appeal to me ...
Read more : Career change? | Views : 5031 | Replies : 17

breakfast porridges?...

On multi-day backcountry trips my buddies and I have been cranking up the food dehydrator to dry out healthy homemade soups, spiced up greens, etc. which we then run through a coffee grinder and bag up for the trip. It's healthy, fast, yummy, and EASY (gotta have access to water obviously).

I was wondering if any of you have a good breakfast porridge recipe that we could try out with the dehydrator?? Something satisfying and ...
Read more : breakfast porridges?... | Views : 1672 | Replies : 10

so i have had pneumonia for about 10 days

and my doctor put me on an inhalers called flovent and albuterol. So i went hiking a few days ago and "wow" I just ripped up the hill. I really did not realize that these were steroids and that they really "opened" up your lungs. It was incredible.
Anyone have this happen.
Read more : so i have had pneumonia for about 10 days | Views : 1694 | Replies : 4

Planning a western U.S. roadtrip

So i am planning a roadtrip starting in washington going down to california and then back up through utah. I want to hit yosemite, bishop, redrocks, jtree, and indian creek. If anyone has camping suggetions, other good advice to help me on my journey i would greatly appreciate this!
Read more : Planning a western U.S. roadtrip | Views : 2940 | Replies : 12

Geocaching: What about it?

This is a prompt:

What are your ideas on geocaching?
If you do, why do you geocache?
In comparison to a climber's normal adventures, is geocaching a "child's" game?
Is geocaching just a game or can it be called a sport?
Is it possible to develop geocaching to a more "extreme" level, say, a cache 5 pitches up?
Should the Burger King toys be left out?
Is geocaching "alright"?
Read more : Geocaching: What about it? | Views : 2631 | Replies : 12

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557992 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136507