It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 10:32 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Guidebooks Interfacing with SP?

This topic is directed to climbers in general, in order to get opinions, ideas, feedback, etc., but it is also directed towards those involved in running the SP web site.

As summitpost has increased in both breadth, depth, and quality of information and people actively contributing to the site, it has become an amazing resource for hiking, scrambling, and climbing in the mountains. However, I still believe that there is a place for guidebooks ...
Read more : Guidebooks Interfacing with SP? | Views : 7161 | Replies : 16

funny experiment

Recently I posted a page about the Hourgade peak in the Pyrenees, and I made a mistake about the height: a 9 turned into a 0 and the height decreases of 2/3, from 2964 (an almost-three-thousander) to 2064 (an unsignificant peaklet).
I don't want to sound too conceited, but I think my page equals more or less the past ones I have made about the Pyrenees peaks considering the content, which means getting from 15 ...
Read more : funny experiment | Views : 2885 | Replies : 5

Most dangerous mountain?

Someone asked me a question last week that I really couldn't answer:

"Which mountain has killed the most people?"

What do you think? Everest? Denali? Another peak?

?????????
Read more : Most dangerous mountain? | Views : 39266 | Replies : 67

Most efficient way to geotag photos?

I'm posting to see what systems people have in place to geotag their photos.

It is rather time consuming to go back and geotag photos after they've been taken.

Has anybody managed to combine their GPS tracks with photos? I'm sure this could be achieved via a perl script or something.

I have a GPS that records my tracks and if I could somehow use this data with my photo stats (time photo was ...
Read more : Most efficient way to geotag photos? | Views : 3373 | Replies : 6

Bushwhacking ratings

Came across these today after hearing about them a while before on a scramble; these would be really helpful when describing a route!

http://www.alpenglow.org/themes/subalpi ... tings.html

They apply especially to the Cascades, but I suppose they would work anywhere brush is encountered.

Difficulty Ratings

These apply to the "free" difficulties (no aid used) and range from BW1 to BW5, where BW stands for "bushwhack." Difficulty ratings apply to those ...
Read more : Bushwhacking ratings | Views : 12615 | Replies : 39

Any Seven Summit climbers out there? Would love some info =]

Hey, my name is Mariah. I am a senior in high school and am currently working on a research paper about the Seven Summits. I have always been fascinated by these beautiful mountains, and impressed by the climbers who scale them. It would be so helpful if you would be kind enough to answer a few quick questions I have. Your knowledge would enable me to further my research and strengthen my paper. Thank you ...
Read more : Any Seven Summit climbers out there? Would love some info =] | Views : 4841 | Replies : 16

google maps tool

The ability to overlay multiple map types with varying transparency has existed with Google Maps for some time now, but the only applications I've seen have been to drop the opacity of the background layer to make a poly shape - like a gps track - stand out better.

I created a page at

http://mattj.net/overlaymap.html

that allows you to mix and match two different layers with variable opacity. As you scroll, zoom or change layers, ...
Read more : google maps tool | Views : 7977 | Replies : 17

Good Morning Midnight

by Chip Brown.

We just had one of local talents (Canadian Rockies) decide to venture on down the highway the same way Guy Waterman did for realtive reasons. He parked below one of our well known landmarks, Castle Mountain, and directed his wheel chair into the creek at about waste deep. Hypothermia/drowning took care of the rest.

Guy's case was quite controversial at the time, but I appreciated him taking the effort to document his ...
Read more : Good Morning Midnight | Views : 5287 | Replies : 19

Hiking with Llamas

Read more : Hiking with Llamas | Views : 8694 | Replies : 19

Just read "Climbing Free" by Lynn Hill ...

first book i've ever read about climbing. a really great read and i'd recommend it to anyone. made me want to find out much more about this stuff. anyone else read?
Read more : Just read "Climbing Free" by Lynn Hill ... | Views : 5155 | Replies : 11

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557974 • Total topics 55839 • Total members 136462