It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:06 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

"High Crimes"

Has anyone read the new book, High Crimes by Michael Kodas? I got it yesterday and wow, so far it is a gripping book about the thieves, drugs and prositution on Everest. It has been hard to put it down. To read that portars and even guides have left their clients to die is just hard to believe and makes me wonder if Everest has gotten to big for her britches.

Would love to hear ...
Read more : "High Crimes" | Views : 3754 | Replies : 6

What is a true Sea Level to Summit expedition

I would like to get readers feedback on what it is believed constitutes a true Sea Level to Summit expedition.

Should it be Solo, guided, with porters and so on?

If a road exists should this be considered acceptable to hike along the road near to a peak?

How should Sea Level to Summit success be measured

What evidence is required?

AS numerous people have attested to having done sea to summit there must be ...
Read more : What is a true Sea Level to Summit expedition | Views : 6414 | Replies : 29

The Seven Highest Mountains on the Seven Largest Islands

I was wondering what would be the seven highest mountains on the seven largest islands?
Here is a list to start with
Greenland - Gunnbjorn Fjeld - 3693m
New Guinea - Cerstenzs (Puncak Jaya} - 5030m
Borneo - Kinabalu - 4101m
Madegascar - Maromokotro - 2876m
Baffin Island - Tete Blanche - 2156m
Sumatra - Kerinei - 3800m
Honshu - Fuji - 3776m
Would Mt Cook in New Zealand or Mt Teide on the Canary ...
Read more : The Seven Highest Mountains on the Seven Largest Islands | Views : 5516 | Replies : 13

Mount Everest-Need Advice

Little help here.

I have been an avid mountaineer and climbing enthusiast ever since the Discovery Channel aired their groundbreaking mini-series "Everest: Beyond the Limit" last fall. I have been waiting over 8 months for the chance to live my dream- taking my wife and teenaged son on a expedition to Nepal and the summit of the great behemoth- Mount Everest. And I'll tell you mano-a-mano, I plan on making it to the top-period.

Lack ...
Read more : Mount Everest-Need Advice | Views : 46836 | Replies : 139

What wind speed will stop you from falling down?

In another thread it was asked “what wind speed will knock you down?” It may also be of interest to ask “what wind speed will stop you from falling down?” - Or how much can you lean into the wind for a given wind speed?

Picture credit: Stefan Berg
Read more : What wind speed will stop you from falling down? | Views : 19058 | Replies : 41

Mountaineering music worthy of notice

Share the music that remindes you of "the feeling" you get in the mountains.
One of my favorites is here
http://www.midwinteronline.de/MP3/Midwinter_-_Realm_Of_Slumber.mp3
This masterpiece makes one think of a fearsome and snowy landscape.
Read more : Mountaineering music worthy of notice | Views : 38630 | Replies : 143

STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Is there any group of "highpointers" (people climbing the highest point in each state) here on SP? It would be fun to hear some of your stories!

My daughter and I got into "highpointing" (a goofy word, I know) when she was 11. Just for kicks I took her up the highest hill in her home state of Maryland. We met a highpointer on the way down. Cypress was intrigued, and climbing mountains has become ...
Read more : STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS | Views : 389199 | Replies : 1645

Chris Bonington books

Hi,

Are all these Chris Bonington books worth purchasing / reading? (I`ve found customer reviews on Amazon for some but not all of them.)

- Annapurna South Face
- Everest, the Hard Way
- Everest: The Unclimbed Ridge
- Chris Bonington's Everest
- Everest, south west face
- Everest Years

thank you
Michael
Read more : Chris Bonington books | Views : 6190 | Replies : 17

Good Books

I've previsouly read Krakaur's books "Into the Wild" and "Into thin air". I loved them. does anyone else know of some equally good, or better books like these? Fiction or non-fiction.

thanks
Read more : Good Books | Views : 26863 | Replies : 105

These guys have been really busy stealing photos from SP

It's easy to make an expedition page nice, when decorated with photos stolen from other people.
Cheap bastards not even mailing asking fro permission or giving any credits.

From fieldtouring's Gasherbrum page. Many more than these:
<A href=//www.expedition.sk/viewer.php?file=g2-1.jpg&popis=Ga%9Aerbrum%20zo%20z%E1kladn%E9ho%20t%E1bora><b>1</B>
<a href=//www.expedition.sk/viewer.php?file=g2-3.jpg&popis=Ga%9Aerbrum%20I%20a%20II%20z%20C1><b>2</B>
<a href=//www.expedition.sk/viewer.php?file=g2-2.jpg&popis=Poh%BEad%20dole%20ne%EFaleko%20vrcholov%E9ho%20hrebe%F2<b>3</b><a>

From Huberschwiller.
<a href=//www.expedition.sk><b>Kili photo on first page displaying all the expeditions.</B></a>

From Losdestroy.
<a href=http://www.huascaran.expedition.sk><b>Top right photo on thsi page</B></A>

From me.
<a Href=//www.expedition.sk/viewer.php?file=shisha-1.jpg&popis=%8Ai%9Aa%20Pangma%20od%20z%E1padu><b>Xixa 1</B></A>

<a href=//www.expedition.sk/viewer.php?file=shisha-2.jpg&popis=Osamoten%FD%20%9Aerpa%20pred%20%8Ai%9Aa%20Pangmou><B>Xixa 2</B></A>

There are probably more. ...
Read more : These guys have been really busy stealing photos from SP | Views : 39866 | Replies : 144

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557970 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136452