It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:27 pm

News News of Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Site map of Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes) » Forum : Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.

Ice climbing near twin cities?

I'll be going to MN for work on the weekend of Feb 1st and thought it would be fun to tag on some ice climbing - any recommendations for location or a guide service?

I usually go climbing each year in North Conway up Huntington Ravine with a guide - I'm intermediate level and am looking for one fun day on the ice, preferably a multi-pitch area if that exists.

Sorry I'm totally naive about ...
Read more : Ice climbing near twin cities? | Views : 15244 | Replies : 14

Need Suggestions: Great Lakes Climbing for Kids

Hey everyone,

I am planning another epic family adventure. This summer we plan on bagging the state highpoints in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

We're hiking Eagle Mtn. then slowly make our way back down to Duluth enjoying the sites as we go. I'm looking for easy rock climbing for my kids aged 13, 11, 9, 7 in the North Shore or Duluth area. They've had a rock climbing class at the local YMCA so they're ...
Read more : Need Suggestions: Great Lakes Climbing for Kids | Views : 7892 | Replies : 1

Ice climbing partner (s)

redridge.jpg
I am an intermediate ice climber with decades of outdoor experience looking for a belay partner in N Illinois or Wisconsin. I have a flexible work schedule and can usually get out with a days notice if the ice is good in Starved Rock, Wyalusing, or weekends in the U.P. Particularly interested in doing more routes in the ice around Houghton, MI where I just came back from last week. Ice ...
Read more : Ice climbing partner (s) | Views : 7848 | Replies : 0

KIM COLORADO TO KENTON OK VIA SHEEP PEN CANYON/NM 456 HWY

has anyone driven from KIM CO to KENTON OK (Black Mesa) down via CR 197 (Sheep Pen Canyon) etc to NM 456 ? Do I need 4 x 4 drive or can a normal sedan (no high clearance) make it?
Read more : KIM COLORADO TO KENTON OK VIA SHEEP PEN CANYON/NM 456 HWY | Views : 9334 | Replies : 2

2013 Banff Mountain Film Festival (Chicago)

The Banff Mountain Film Festival is taking place at the Portage Theater in Chicago on April 13/14. For more info and tickets, click below.

http://www.banffcentre.ca/mountainfestival/worldtour/listings/cities.aspx?cat=NA&location=us%5D&region=IL
Read more : 2013 Banff Mountain Film Festival (Chicago) | Views : 8881 | Replies : 0

2013 CMC Annual Dinner

The CMC Annual Dinner has been scheduled for March 16th in Aurora, IL. Everyone is welcome. Drop me a note if you plan to attend. Hope to see you there!

The Chicago Mountaineering Club (CMC) is proud to have Barry Blanchard as our guest speaker for the 2013 CMC Annual Dinner on Saturday March 16th at the Two Brothers Roundhouse. 205 North Broadway, Aurora, IL 60506.

Barry Blanchard (born March 29, 1959 in Calgary, Alberta, ...
Read more : 2013 CMC Annual Dinner | Views : 8918 | Replies : 0

Sandstone - Dec. 14-16

I plan on going Saturday and depending on what we decide over the next couple weeks I may enter a chili on Sunday. This is the first year in the last 4 that we'll be in town for the festival.

http://www.sandstoneicefest.com/index.html
Read more : Sandstone - Dec. 14-16 | Views : 9676 | Replies : 3

Cougar sightings near Chicago

There have been numerous unconfirmed cougar sightings in the northern Chicago suburbs recently. This happens every couple of years. Last time (2008) the police shot and killed the animal. I hope this one stays clear of humans. There's never been an instance of a cougar attacking a human in Illinois so I wish they'd just leave the animal alone. A least, if they don't want them roaming about residential areas, they should tranquilize it and ...
Read more : Cougar sightings near Chicago | Views : 10984 | Replies : 5

midwest climbers help me out

Just relocated from Warshington to Des Moines. Back home I focused mainly on scrambles, glacier climbs, and easy alpine climbs in the cascades, now I suppose my focus will need to be technical rock climbing. Looking at some of the stuff available in MN and WI. What is this quartzite rock all about? I've pretty much exclusively climbed on basalt and granite and my trad leading experience is short (about a year). How easy is ...
Read more : midwest climbers help me out | Views : 10424 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136425