It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:39 pm

News News of Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Site map of Mountain Medicine & Rescue » Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.

Midges!!!

Can anyone offer me some advice in dealing with midges/gnats (I think that's what they're called). Their bite is causing a pretty nasty long lasting welt and I'm fed up with them. I'm not sure where else these exist, but I'm living in Grand Junction, CO and they're thick as molasses!

So please, if you any experience with preventing the bite or how to deal with the bite it would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
Read more : Midges!!! | Views : 33769 | Replies : 28

Avodart and cramps

I've been taking Avodart for BPH for about 6 months.

I'd be interested to know if any man here is also taking Avodart, and has had this apparent side effect: leg cramps after strenuous exercise.

I used to get mild cramps after mondo days, especially on the right side (there are other medical reasons for that bias). I could always exercise and massage out those minor cramps. However, in the last 5 months, I've had ...
Read more : Avodart and cramps | Views : 3934 | Replies : 5

Rescue cover

What is the dress of a Rescue?
What are features? A sample of it I want to prepare. Someone has to display a sample is put?
I am an aid worker and need a dress is appropriate. Waiting for projects in different clothing ...
Read more : Rescue cover | Views : 2908 | Replies : 2

Ways to lessen effects of altitude if unable to acclimatize

I'm going to Colorado for a business trip and plan on a couple hikes in the Rockies. Most likely we will do a 14k hike. I'm from New York and the highest elevation I have been is 6,288 ft at Mt Washington. I'm going with a friend who has also never been above 10,000 ft. We will be in Colorado 3 days before we plan on hiking, but given this is a business trip I ...
Read more : Ways to lessen effects of altitude if unable to acclimatize | Views : 2161 | Replies : 1

Calcium, magnesium or potassium for stiff muscles?

What do you think is better for stiff muscles :?: Calcium, magnesium or potassium :?:
Read more : Calcium, magnesium or potassium for stiff muscles? | Views : 49178 | Replies : 147

Genetic Defense

A new study indicates that Tibetans have developed certain genes that help defend against the effects of high altitude. Pretty interesting -- might lead to therapies for pulmonary/cerebral edema. Anyone know of similar studies?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100513143453.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Latest+Science+News%29&utm_content=Google+Reader
Read more : Genetic Defense | Views : 2502 | Replies : 6

Need help understanding how blood "thickens"

Blood plasma is mostly water, perhaps it is due to dehydration, and not the altitude itself.

I read about a fatality in Death Valley a few years ago, the guy collapsed less than 1/2 mile from his vehicle. The article explained he likely passed out due to being so dehydrated his blood thickened and couldn't get enough oxygen to his brain- if I am remembering correctly.

I'm sure someone will have a better, more technical, ...
Read more : Need help understanding how blood "thickens" | Views : 2802 | Replies : 2

Ankle Sprain Recovery

Hoping someone who has had a few sprains could help me out.

I sprained my ankle a few weeks ago--this was my first time so I'm not sure how to treat it--and I'm trying to get it back into mountaineering shape.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm wondering if it would be a good or bad thing for my recovery to use an ankle support for protection...or would this hurt the recovery by ...
Read more : Ankle Sprain Recovery | Views : 24982 | Replies : 15

Eating

If one doesn't eat much, but still moves a lot, what's the lower limit before it becomes dangerous? Does anyone know?
Read more : Eating | Views : 13121 | Replies : 68

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557955 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136420