It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:47 am

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Tent found in Bighorns

I was coming down on the Sherd Lake loop in the Bighorns yesterday and found a tent lying in the trail. At the trailhead was a note and number to call but they said it was a wrong number. Steve....I have your tent. Pm me.
Read more : Tent found in Bighorns | Views : 2623 | Replies : 0

Sawtooth conditions

Boise is forecast to hit 109 degrees Sunday.

With that in mind, what kind of conditions is the Sawtooth Wilderness (ID) experiencing? I'm hiking a 65-mile loop in about three weeks. I'm sure the passes won't hold snow then, but any peaks left with substantial snow by then?

Thanks for any input.
Read more : Sawtooth conditions | Views : 2859 | Replies : 1

Cloud Peak Wilderness Advice

I am planning a backpacking trip for mid-August in the Cloud Peak Wilderness with my boys before they head back to school. We're flying into Billings, renting a car, and plan some sort of backcountry loop for 5-8 days. We are avid backpackers and comfortable scrambling and navigating in the backcountry. We're not experienced climbers, though, nor do we have technical climbing gear. Maybe someday ;)

Red ...
Read more : Cloud Peak Wilderness Advice | Views : 11166 | Replies : 7

Anybody done Jumbo in the Madison Range, Montana

This mountain is above Lava Lake off of 191 going up to Big Sky. At 10,416' it's pretty high for around here. It's definitely a walkup but which way? I'm in Bozeman and nobody has even heard of it and there is no SP post and no trails shown. I'm going up tomorrow trying my best guess. I'm hoping it's not the bushwack from hell. I also posted a partner wanted in that forum. If ...
Read more : Anybody done Jumbo in the Madison Range, Montana | Views : 3135 | Replies : 3

Beartooths / Lonesome / Spirit Mountains

Headed to the Beartooths last week of June and we're looking at camping around Albino Lake and attempting Lonesome and Spirit. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect for snowpack etc.? The pages say take crampons / axe etc. but I'm not really getting an idea of coverage. What should I expect? Hours of soft snow wallowing or a couple snow patches to traverse? Do people still carry crampons in early July ...
Read more : Beartooths / Lonesome / Spirit Mountains | Views : 2974 | Replies : 2

Current Snowpack on Borah?

Hi all,

I'm heading up Mt. Borah on June 28th and I was wondering if anyone has been up there recently and knows how much snow/ice there is right now. I was planning on going up the Southwest (Chicken-Out) Ridge route.

Thanks and happy travels!
Read more : Current Snowpack on Borah? | Views : 2947 | Replies : 1

Fremont Idaho CHP

Has anybody done County High Point for Fremont county lately? I am looking into possibly trying it in a couple weeks. I'm debating with myself on which trail to take, the trail from Targhee Creek or Mile Creek on the Montana side. Which is better? Mileage for both? overall time for both? I'm kind of leaning towards Mile Creek but not sure which trail takes less time and less mileage. Anybody have any imput? Thanks!
Read more : Fremont Idaho CHP | Views : 2782 | Replies : 1

Snow in the northern Sawtooths?

I'm heading to the Stanley area this weekend (6/20). Was wondering if there are any peaks I can climb without snow gear. Any pics would be nice. Thx
Read more : Snow in the northern Sawtooths? | Views : 3611 | Replies : 5

Logan Pass Glacier National Park

Open from the W side today and from the E on June 19

http://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/news/west ... morrow.htm
Read more : Logan Pass Glacier National Park | Views : 2780 | Replies : 0

FYI: new Montana rock guide: The Big Empty

FYI: new Montana rock guide: The Big Empty

The Big Empty by Ron Brunckhorst.
http://thebasecamp.com/2015/04/new-loca ... big-empty/

"The Big Empty is a select climbing guide to central Montana to include the Little Belts, Big Belts, Castles and much more. Check out favorite climbs in Hellgate, Avalanche, Indian Creek, Trout Creek and Beaver Creek."
Read more : FYI: new Montana rock guide: The Big Empty | Views : 3632 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558021 • Total topics 55844 • Total members 136595