It is currently Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:28 pm

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Glacier NP Route Help

Hello Everyone,

I am new on this board, been living in MN, for the past 4 years, and have done alot of canoeing/camping in the BWCA. I was looking for a new adventure, and came across GNP, and now I'm hooked on exploring this magnificent park. I have done some research about the park and trails, and am looking for some advice on routes. Initailly, my g/f and I were looking at getting up to ...
Read more : Glacier NP Route Help | Views : 3971 | Replies : 9

Grand Teton map with GIS user trails

The dashed blue lines on this map are user trails based on GPS data collected by NPS staff.

The NPS is hosting this trail data on a GIS server. Click any trail to see a popup with all the attribute data the GIS server has for the thing that you clicked.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... ton_np.txt

Click the "About this map" link in the upper left corner to find out how ...
Read more : Grand Teton map with GIS user trails | Views : 2484 | Replies : 0

"The Wall" in Grand Teton NP

Has anyone ever climbed "The Wall" at the head of Avalanche Canyon in the Tetons? I am really intrigued by the possibility of trying to climb it. Looking at Google Earth, there appears to be a use-trail that heads down the backside into Alaska Basin, so I've been thinking it would be sweet to climb The Wall and then hike down the backside. I can't seem to find anyone who has climbed it before, though. ...
Read more : "The Wall" in Grand Teton NP | Views : 8987 | Replies : 7

June skiing Idaho ?

Hoping there's folks that might have info, experience, links, or suggestions on skiing traverses, basecamps, or couloirs/day trips in June in the White Clouds or Sawtooths. Seems like perhaps most things are melted out summer snowpack (perhaps) by that time. Thanks for any info.
Read more : June skiing Idaho ? | Views : 2231 | Replies : 0

Clouds over the Grand Teton

Just read this interesting article with pics...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topsto ... ?ocid=iehp
Read more : Clouds over the Grand Teton | Views : 2300 | Replies : 0

Early Season For Summer Hiking 2015?

I just checked the snow depth reports and the NOAA extended forecasts so this is the analysis.
Note: I live in Bozeman so this is relevant for Yellowstone, Beartooths and the areas nearby although most of this Northern Rockies area has seen a similar climate.

Many sites had above average snowfall in early January but unseasonably dry and warm temps have brought the snowpack down to around average by Feb. 1. However there has been ...
Read more : Early Season For Summer Hiking 2015? | Views : 6499 | Replies : 14

Need info/help on Glacier National Park Trip Boulder Pass Tr

Howdy,

Noob here, hoping to for some help on trip planning. I am looking at heading out to GNP in late July (3rd-4th week). I am coming from Saint Paul, and have never been out there. I have done quite a bit of backcountry camping in the Boundary Waters, but that is with a canoe, paddling and portaging. I haven't done backcountry hiking for the quite some time, 15-20 years. I am in pretty good ...
Read more : Need info/help on Glacier National Park Trip Boulder Pass Tr | Views : 3238 | Replies : 1

Kintla peak climbing clues

Does anyone have clues to get to the top of Kintla Peak? We were thinking about kayaking up Kintla lake an summiting Kintla peak. Any help would be helpful
Read more : Kintla peak climbing clues | Views : 2351 | Replies : 2

Washakie Wilderness pass between Green and Emerold Lakes

Does anyone know if its possible to hike from Green Lake in the Washakie Wilderness to Emerold Lake on the other side of the ridge. I'm looking at a saddle between peaks 12,025 and 11,656. According to the guidebook its possible to do this scramble going east to west. But it looks steep and going west to east might be harder because you would be descending the hardest part of the route rather the ascending. ...
Read more : Washakie Wilderness pass between Green and Emerold Lakes | Views : 2911 | Replies : 3

Southern Winds advice

I am looking a doing a loop in the southern winds. Starting and ending at Big Sandy trailhead. My idea is to go thru the Cirque of Towers then over Hailey pass to the east fork valley. I am looking for suggestions for a couple peaks to summit along the way. Looking for quality class 3/4 scrambles. I have never been to this part of the winds so I thought I had better seek out ...
Read more : Southern Winds advice | Views : 3416 | Replies : 6

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558061 • Total topics 55845 • Total members 136659