It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:35 pm

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Peakes an hikes in Silver Bow/Jefferson/Madison counties

I was hired for a job in Butte and will be there soon. So soon that I've been reading up on all the cool mountains in western Montana I plan to visit over the next years. My first goal is to get acquainted with the immediate vicinity of Butte (within a half-hour's drive). I see there's ranges like Boulder, Elkhorn, and London Hills in Jefferson County; those are my first priority. Looks like a bunch ...
Read more : Peakes an hikes in Silver Bow/Jefferson/Madison counties | Views : 3200 | Replies : 2

Yellowstone Lodging Advice.

Okay. It's a done deal. This year for real.

My wife and I will be spending five nights in Yellowstone and three in the Tetons vicinity.

We'll need to stay in lodges/cabins. I'll leave my wife at the lodges while I go hiking/scrambling.

What I need is some advice. We'll want to stay at two different lodges, perhaps three. What would be the best lodge to hit first if I'm driving in from Salt Lake ...
Read more : Yellowstone Lodging Advice. | Views : 4379 | Replies : 9

Winter Ascents of Glacier National Park 10,000 foot peaks

Two interesting articles regarding Jason Robertson of Whitefish who is trying to summit all of Glacier's 10K foot peaks in the winter.

He recently completed Kintla and the 2010 Hungry Horse News Article can be read at this link.

He also climbed all but Cleveland in Winter 2008/2009. Here is that 2008 Article from the Great Falls Tribune.

Jason seems to have this all figured out and I wish him the best of luck.

From ...
Read more : Winter Ascents of Glacier National Park 10,000 foot peaks | Views : 3481 | Replies : 2

What's new in Montana, 2010

Amazing that it takes until February 11th to bring this year's first Montana listing!

Little Dog Mountain (GNP), Continental Divide Route
Read more : What's new in Montana, 2010 | Views : 8042 | Replies : 29

Do Convertibles and Glacier Park Mix?

I went to a travel website today while planning my summer vacation to Glacier Natinal Park. To my surprise, at the Great Falls airport rental companies, convertibles were the cheapest car being offered by several hundred dollars. I quickly snatched one up but then I wondered - is there some reason these would be undesirable at Glacier? Is this an automotive bear incident waiting to happen? Or is there something else I am missing?
Read more : Do Convertibles and Glacier Park Mix? | Views : 2465 | Replies : 8

Cody Ice Climbing this weekend

I will be in Cody ice climbing this weekend (14th-18th) with my brother. Anyone is welcome to join our group. And if there are any local SP members we would love to meet up.
Read more : Cody Ice Climbing this weekend | Views : 1186 | Replies : 1

Question about Helena, MT

I'm looking at moving to Helena, MT, and I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have lived in or spent time in the area. I'd really like to live somewhere that has relatively close access to rock climbing, backcountry skiing, and mountain biking. From what I've been able to find it looks like there are some mountain biking trails in the area, but I'm not sure about the rest.

What's the general ...
Read more : Question about Helena, MT | Views : 11493 | Replies : 13

Alternate Routes on Granite

Has anyone ever attempted any alternate routes on Granite? Maybe like an approach from East or West Rosebud but then go around Granite by Lowary Lake or the other way passing Avalanche lake and gain the summit up the SW couloir near sky top glacier? This would def. be a longer approach, but may make for easier climbing while still providing more company. I attempted the SW couloir last year and we didn't pass anyone ...
Read more : Alternate Routes on Granite | Views : 1753 | Replies : 1

Glacier on Gannett

I'm probably going to attempt a solo of Gannett in Mid to late August. I don't know how comfortable I feel going solo on glaciers. I noticed from a lot of pictures and topos that it appears you can navigate around the glaciers in late August. What's the possibilities of gaining the summit of Gannett Peak without setting foot on glaciers. What grade of climbing would the mountain present to avoid glaciers.
Read more : Glacier on Gannett | Views : 12391 | Replies : 24

Grinnell Point, Glacier National Park

would love to put up a page for Grinnell Point, which is a great half-day climb in Many Glacier, but have run into a bit of a problem. when i climbed it in July of '09, i had just trashed my camera on Altyn Peak. so, i was unable to take any route photos or summit views, and feel my page would suffer greatly without them. if anyone has any photos of climbing Grinnell Point, ...
Read more : Grinnell Point, Glacier National Park | Views : 2425 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557964 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136440