It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:26 pm

News News of Oceania and Pacific Islands

Site map of Oceania and Pacific Islands » Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.

Trip to NZ

I´m coming down to NZ end of Feb.

Is this the right plug for NZ? (Basic question I know - but with various electric stuff that I´ll be bringing, it´s important)

Cheers

Charleshttp://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm#plugs_i
Read more : Trip to NZ | Views : 2080 | Replies : 1

Help me plan my spring break in Australia.

So I'm looking forward to spend a week in Asutralia, i will use two days for climbing Kosciuszko and 5 days to tour around Sydney. How do you guys recommend me to climb Kosciuszko? If guided and sightseeing, which company is the best? Also what are some of the most popular attractions in Sydney or surrounding area?
Read more : Help me plan my spring break in Australia. | Views : 8253 | Replies : 25

Some NZ mountaineering pics - Jan-Feb '09

Just some pics of 2 weeks spent in NZ.

1st week based at Kelman Hut and when weather allowed played on Hoschetter Dome and Mt Alymer

2nd week based at Pioneer Hut. Attempted Mt Tasman. We turned around due to lack of efficiency on what was for me extremely icy slopes. Lesson learnt, more time needed crampon-ing on >45 deg ice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radson/sets/72157613321647122/
Read more : Some NZ mountaineering pics - Jan-Feb '09 | Views : 2780 | Replies : 5

Ropemate wanted

Looking for a Beginner / Intermediate ice/rock/mountain ropemate. I am currently in Wanaka staged for climbing in and around MANP. Have been up to Beavan Col and around solo on Mt Bevan (2-) and Mt Joffre (1+) thus far. Looking for interest in the Darrens (Mt. Talbot), Remarkables ( traverse ), climbing around MCNP (ascents from Welcome Hut as well as the e side), and Mt. French (via frh) - Mt. Avalanche - Mt. Tyndall ...
Read more : Ropemate wanted | Views : 1772 | Replies : 1

Cheapest Airport for NZ?

I'm planning a trip to NZ in October and will be flying from Seattle. I'm currently planning on hiking North around Nelson and South for the Rees/Dart rivers, so I plan on traveling completely across the South island.

I've looked at flying into both Christchurch and Queensland and the cost looks about the same. Are there any other major airports I should check on?
Read more : Cheapest Airport for NZ? | Views : 3190 | Replies : 8

Mauna Kea tours

So I'm attempting to go to Hawaii for my Honeymoon in a couple months. Being a Highpointer, one of the main attractions for me is Mauna Kea. The only way I think I can get the new Mrs. to do it is to take one of the guided tours. I've seen 2-3 on the internet that look good, but I just wondered if anyone had had any personal experience with them. Any help or advice ...
Read more : Mauna Kea tours | Views : 2237 | Replies : 1

GPS Maps for NZ

I'm heading south in about 3 weeks and am looking to load my Garmin Map 60CSx with the right maps for kiwiland.

Garmin has nothing available and all I can find available on-line are free roads-only maps or rather expensive ($100+) contour maps.

Does anyone know of a source for free or reasonably priced NZ digital maps?
Read more : GPS Maps for NZ | Views : 2911 | Replies : 7

climbing gear transport to new zealand

I am heading down to Dunedin, New Zealand for a few months to student teach. I want to bring my climbing gear, but I was wondering if the machines used to zap the microbes in items that have been exposed to soil will harm a rope. I'm assuming that they don't, but I just want to make sure. Thanks for your input.
Read more : climbing gear transport to new zealand | Views : 4621 | Replies : 3

Current Mt Cook / Aspiring Climbing Conditions / Info Needed

Hey all,

headed out to NZ in a few days looking for any info on current conditions for Mt. Cook / Linda Glacier and the Aspiring area - Bonar Glacier / Qdeck.

Cheers!

Patrick
Read more : Current Mt Cook / Aspiring Climbing Conditions / Info Needed | Views : 2845 | Replies : 3

On the mountain of mourn

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/on-the-mountain-of-mourn/2008/12/23/1229998526776.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

I don't know why I took the photo. It was three men just passing time. The picture said nothing of the noise. The wind beat the hut walls with unrestrained ferocity. A blizzard had descended on the slopes of Otago's Mount Aspiring. We waited in Colin Todd hut for our chance at the summit.

Lying on my bunk, I reached for the camera and click, three men's lives were frozen in time. They were ...
Read more : On the mountain of mourn | Views : 2089 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557973 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136462