Shepherd Pass Access/Conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Snowslogger

Shepherd Pass Access/Conditions?

by Snowslogger » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:12 pm

Does anybody have any information regarding the current access to and status of the Shepherd Pass trail post-Tropical Storm Hillary? I was planning on heading up there next week but from Inyo County Roads Department information it looks like the roads to the trailhead are closed. I haven't been able to get through to the Whitney Ranger Station/Eastern Sierra Visitor Center and at this point am assuming I will probably have to go to a Plan B.

Scott M.

Re: Shepherd Pass Access/Conditions?

by Scott M. » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:21 pm

https://www.inyocounty.us/sites/default ... .23%20.pdf
Inyo County Road Department just updated their status page this AM. I do not have a first hand look but Foothill is still listed as closed.
One might be able to get up to the forest service road through Manzanar but no guarantee on that, either.

Romain

by Romain » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:35 am

This also lists Onion Valley Road as closed but it is very much open. I just returned from a trip there, the lot at the trailhead was full and the campground full of activity. So I am not sure about the "official" closure list, best to call the ranger station ahead of time.

Snowslogger

by Snowslogger » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:53 am

Thanks for the quick replies. Good to hear that Onion Valley Road is open but I'm surprised that it wasn't on the update. I also wonder about the trail as I understand it has had erosion/washout issues in the past. Guess I'll keep trying to get through to the ranger station.

Snowslogger

by Snowslogger » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:29 pm

Finally got through to the ranger station and the confirmed that the access road and the Shepherd Pass trail are both closed due to flood damage. On to Plan B - the Wallowas here in Oregon.

The following user would like to thank Snowslogger for this post
Deb

Return to California