It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 7:43 am

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Cody Ice Climbing this weekend

I will be in Cody ice climbing this weekend (14th-18th) with my brother. Anyone is welcome to join our group. And if there are any local SP members we would love to meet up.
Read more : Cody Ice Climbing this weekend | Views : 1219 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

correct crampon technique on traverse/descent

I live in a country that generally has no ice or snow, this year we had an unusual cold snap that resulted us getting lots if snow and ice, a very very rare chance to get some practice on snow and ice. A few of us got in a few days of winter mountaineering a fantastic few days, any one who has mountains with snow and ice nearby, you don't know how lucky you are! ...
Read more : correct crampon technique on traverse/descent | Views : 18467 | Replies : 28 | Forum : Technique and Training

Going to Banff. What to climb? What to ski? Updated

I'm going to Banff next week for 5 days. First time there.

Where should I ski to find some powder (nothing too extreme, I'm an ok skier but haven't skied in 10 years. I'm in good shape though.)

Where should I go for Ice climbing (WI3-4)? Is there a good place to go climb at night? What are the classics?

In short, what would you recommend doing for 5 days when staying in Banff?

Thanks! ...
Read more : Going to Banff. What to climb? What to ski? Updated | Views : 2643 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Canada and Alaska

Anniversary in the Mtns: where would you go?

Hello!

I'll be celebrating my 4th anniversary with my girlfriend, and we want to go someplace in the Sierras. We're looking for something romantic, cozy, and with plenty of fun outdoor options (we'd prefer backcountry vs. lift-service). I've considered the Ahwahnee in Yosemite, but it's very expensive, and gets a lot of bad reviews.

Where would you go with your lover / adventure buddy that combines romance, good food and fun in the mountains? Oh ...
Read more : Anniversary in the Mtns: where would you go? | Views : 1359 | Replies : 9 | Forum : California

FOR SALE: New Unused Koflach Artis Extr mountaineering boot

For sale: New Unused Koflach Artis Extr mountaineering boot size 8.

Would like $250.00 make offer. Happy to email photos.

Please don't PM but email thesmithgroup(at)windermere(dot)com

These warm plastic-shell boots designed for extreme-cold, high-altitude expeditions also perform well on vertical ice.

The warmest in the Koflach line, the Expe feature Thermo liners which contain open-cell polyethylene and closed-cell Alveolit foam
Y-Technology™ outer shells use dual-density polyurethane--stiffer near the bottom for crampon security and softer over ...
Read more : FOR SALE: New Unused Koflach Artis Extr mountaineering boot | Views : 1372 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Gear

Guinness worthy record?

Certainly very impressive :shock:

Will Gadd from Canada completed an astonishing 194 laps of the 40-meter Pick O’ the Vic (WI4) during his “Endless Ascent.” In this 24-hour ultra-marathon of ice climbing, a fund-raiser for the dZi Foundation, Gadd climbed about 25,500 feet of near-vertical ice — surely a Guinness-worthy record. 8) Here's is photo of Pick O' the ...
Read more : Guinness worthy record? | Views : 1667 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Technique and Training

Two British Climbers perish - Mont Blanc

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... nrN_BZlHQg

GRENOBLE (AFP) - Two Britons, James Atkinson and Robert Douglas Gauntlett, Britain's youngest to conquer Everest, died on (10/Jan/2009) after a fatal fall in the Mont Blanc in the French Alps, said Sunday the police. Gauntlett, aged 21, and his compatriot of the same age were found dead Saturday at the foot of the gangway Gervasutti under Mont Blanc du Tacul (4,260 meters), it was clear ...
Read more : Two British Climbers perish - Mont Blanc | Views : 4244 | Replies : 9 | Forum : News

Bolivia: anticipated early May conditions

Anyone other than Fabrice Rimlinger have experience (or a pretty good idea) with conditions in Bolivia in early May? I have the first two weeks off and was considering either Illimani or Sajama & Parinacota which probably have very different conditions then. I'm planning to acclimatize on lower peaks in the Cordillera Real.

Any comments/advice are appreciated.

Thanks!

Woodie
Read more : Bolivia: anticipated early May conditions | Views : 2229 | Replies : 9 | Forum : South America

Need advice on good rock climbing guide for Oregon

Thinking about Smith Rock, any suggestions?
Read more : Need advice on good rock climbing guide for Oregon | Views : 2058 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Colorado Springs area trails

I'm going to be in Colorado Springs for work March 7-9, and I'm hoping to arrive early enough to get a hike in the first day I'm there. Hoping some locals can tell me where they'd go if they had half a day and wanted to take in some scenery and elevation gain.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Myles
Read more : Colorado Springs area trails | Views : 4949 | Replies : 15 | Forum : Colorado

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558014 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136574