It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:00 pm

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Koflach+40Below

Hi,
I'm planning a trip to Denali next season and I'm wondering if the combination of Koflach Degre with the Purple Haze will be enough to keep my feet warm? Maybe some of you who have done Denali can help me.
Thank you.
Read more : Koflach+40Below | Views : 6150 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Gear

Gorge Scrambles?

Anyone know of some good 3rd or 4th class routes in the columbia gorge? Some alternate routes on Table or Hamilton perhaps?
Read more : Gorge Scrambles? | Views : 8359 | Replies : 9 | Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

The Politics of Man and Woman

This sport is male-dominated, no question there. The fact that women are picking up on it is anathema to some, welcome to others. No question there, either. The fact remains, though, that men and women, whether attached or not, are going to be spending time together doing the mountaineering/climbing thang. What they make of it thereafter is an individual choice.

Here’s my point – I have a friend (or at least I thought him a ...
Read more : The Politics of Man and Woman | Views : 15736 | Replies : 61 | Forum : Ethics, Spray, and Slander

Distance versus time

Some of the (very nice) featured pages on SP right now reminded me: why do North American trail signs show distance while signs in the Alps show time?

For example, one of the signs shown on the Saalfeldener Höhenweg page says that a destination is "2 hours" away.

Now, I know how fast I travel, so the North American signs work for me. But I don't know how fast an Austrian sign-poster travels. (I've learned ...
Read more : Distance versus time | Views : 2559 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General

Lee Vining Ice for '09

Went and had a looksee this morning. Appears that last weeks rain/snow gig has in fact created some substantial run offs that are flowing. B/H and Main Wall are somewhat wet with flowing water. I think we may just have some good ice this year!!!

And found this very interesting runnel that is really flowing above and to the right. If this water continues to flow like this, this will be a nice 3P ...
Read more : Lee Vining Ice for '09 | Views : 2504 | Replies : 4 | Forum : California

Hot Springs Mountain

It looks like it's legal to do the hike to Hot Springs Mountain in San Diego County again - the campground is open:

http://www.loscoyotes.info/
Read more : Hot Springs Mountain | Views : 1098 | Replies : 2 | Forum : California

prominent Sierra Peaks w/o Summitpost pages

Despite hundreds of Sierra peaks with Summitpost pages, there are still a modest number that no one has adopted. And I'm not referring to the large number of unnamed USGS peaks but rather those with USGS names. Every once in awhile I come across one and am sometimes surprised since some obviously have excellent climbing or peakbagging interest. I'd expect all members that explore the mountain listings come across some unadopted peaks so I thought ...
Read more : prominent Sierra Peaks w/o Summitpost pages | Views : 4074 | Replies : 9 | Forum : California

Shoes too small! Ouch!

I recently ordered some Five-Ten Insight shoes. I wore them around the house and they seemed to fit perfectly. I then wore them on two climbs averaging 5000 vertical feet and experienced unignorable pain in my toes on descent. The shoes are one size too small. My last pair was 9.5 (and they never hurt my feet) and these are 9.0. It is too late to return them. Suggestions?
Read more : Shoes too small! Ouch! | Views : 2945 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Gear

Backcountry bureaucracy

There's an interesting article in the Seattle PI about the sad state of bureaucracy that has invaded the Cascades backcountry.

My friend's party had a pass for five people to go in and camp in the Enchantments for five days. An overworked lawyer, he had to hike in late and meet the rest of the group.

Being a good citizen, he stopped at the Leavenworth Ranger Station to pick up a day pass so that ...
Read more : Backcountry bureaucracy | Views : 3783 | Replies : 16 | Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

FS Marmot Atom $125 shipped SOLD

I've got a Marmot Atom size long with left zip that I'm asking $150 for. This includes shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states. This is the older (IMO better) model with the pertex shell and half zip. PM me for pictures if interested. It has just been washed with Down Wash and has incredible loft.
Read more : FS Marmot Atom $125 shipped SOLD | Views : 2027 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Gear

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558081 • Total topics 55846 • Total members 136710