It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:24 am

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Tibetan Refugees - Contact?

Hi Everyone,

I'm a researcher looking into the issue of Tibetan refugees coming into contact with mountain climbers in Tibet and Nepal.

Has anyone run into Tibetan refugees in the mountains of Tibet or Nepal at any time?

I'd love to her anecdotes about this. All replies in strict confidence.

Please email researcherjohan@hotmail.com
Read more : Tibetan Refugees - Contact? | Views : 1189 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Asia

Only 59 votes ???

Why on earth does this page only have 59 votes?

Dan is too modest to point out all the work he's done lately on what was already a superb page - but I'm sure in heck going to do it for him.

If you haven't done so already go and have a look at it. If we had a "best of all time" category on SP, this would be a deserving candidate.
Read more : Only 59 votes ??? | Views : 1488 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Europe

lost in a whiteout/ gps trackback

The recent tragedy on Aconcagua and my plan to solo the normal route next month makes me think seriously about an accurate gps with track back in case of whiteout on the way down...which units are the most accurate ...price is also a concern for me as is weight and battery. :?: :idea: ...
Read more : lost in a whiteout/ gps trackback | Views : 1838 | Replies : 0 | Forum : South America

2 deads on Mont Blanc

Just heard that 2 British climbers (James Atkinson and Rob Gauntlett) died on Mont Blanc.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7822567.stm
Very sad news. It's a bad week for alpinism, after the several deads on Aconcague, now also 2 deads on Mont Blanc.
I want to wish all the best for the families and friends of these climbers.
Read more : 2 deads on Mont Blanc | Views : 658 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Europe

route maps on aco/distances

1. how many miles from mulas to summit?
2. where can I get a map of the normal route?
3. how many miles from penitentes to mulas?
4. elevation gain from penitentes to mulas?
Read more : route maps on aco/distances | Views : 1098 | Replies : 3 | Forum : South America

GPS: What do you use, and why?

Out of curiousity,

WHICH GPS do you use?
WHY did you chose that one over another?

I am looking into getting a GPS to map routes, especially those in thick forrested areas where the desirable path is hard to follow (such as on Vancouver Island). I also am an advid caver, and would be nice to map locations of entrances as they are easily lost.
I have been looking at the Garmin Geko 301, and ...
Read more : GPS: What do you use, and why? | Views : 25390 | Replies : 130 | Forum : Gear

Ojos Del Salado partners

Anybody planing on hiking the Chilean side of Ojos Del Salado Jan09-March09???
I'm planing on heading down for a month or two and need someone for ODS.
Read more : Ojos Del Salado partners | Views : 1445 | Replies : 0 | Forum : South America

Dead on Aconcagua

I'm very sad. Two climbers, Federico Campanini (an Argentinian guide) and Elena Senin (an Italian from Ivrea) died on Aconcagua under a storm below the summit, coming back to the base. http://www.ansa.it/opencms/export/site/ ... 30000.html
Condolance to friends and families of Federico and Elena.
Read more : Dead on Aconcagua | Views : 1367 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Europe

Three Climbers Die on Aconcagua

It is with great sadness that I report the untimely deaths of three climbers on Aconcagua this week. The first was a German climber and my partner on the Polish Direct route when he fell during his descent from 21,000 feet. Two Italian climbers also passed away after being trapped by a storm at 22,000 feet on the same route. Rescue attempts are underway to save the remaining two Italian climbers and an Argentinian guide ...
Read more : Three Climbers Die on Aconcagua | Views : 10349 | Replies : 29 | Forum : South America

GPS Maps for NZ

I'm heading south in about 3 weeks and am looking to load my Garmin Map 60CSx with the right maps for kiwiland.

Garmin has nothing available and all I can find available on-line are free roads-only maps or rather expensive ($100+) contour maps.

Does anyone know of a source for free or reasonably priced NZ digital maps?
Read more : GPS Maps for NZ | Views : 2917 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558028 • Total topics 55845 • Total members 136601