It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:12 pm

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Which Slovenian mountain huts stay open in winter?

Most mountain huts in Slovenia are closed by mid-October. Can anyone point me to a reference for those that stay open through the winter or open at weekends? We are looking at a trip end of October.
Read more : Which Slovenian mountain huts stay open in winter? | Views : 3723 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Europe

warning using Carstensz guides Franky Kowas and Bob Sumoked

Last spring we were left on our own at Carstensz base camp. The tour organiser Franky Kowaas (or Kowas) promised to take us back to Timika. Instead we were abandoned and stayed for 3 days and nights at Zebra Wall without food nor fire. The mine security officers could not assist us either, they summoned us to go back by food to Ilaga (5 day walk, no food, no guide, thus no option).
Eventually we ...

Closest Mountaineering,etc...from Shanghai, China?

:idea: hey guys...

i'll be in shanghai for 5 days in the next three weeks this month but, just wanted to see if i could attempt a peak within that time that's ideally close by? anything within a day travel time either by bus/train/or even plane?? i'm not opposed to a guided/organized guided tour climb since i have limited time as well so if anybody has any ...
Read more : Closest Mountaineering,etc...from Shanghai, China? | Views : 6526 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Asia

Bouldering in Central MD

Anyone know any good Bouldering areas in central Maryland? Most of the areas I have been to locally only have a couple problems and have not been climbed on recently either. I'm also looking for a local guide book for the area (MD,DC,PA,VA), since "Climb Maryland!" has been out of print and too expensive for a used copy.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Read more : Bouldering in Central MD | Views : 8759 | Replies : 24 | Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

82 Alpine 4000m summits in one push

Diego Giovannini and Franco Nicolini have recently completed a continuous non mechanised link up of 82 alpine 4000m summits
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=2733
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
Read more : 82 Alpine 4000m summits in one push | Views : 2014 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Europe

Get to Frison Roche on le Brevant without the Cable Car??

I'm off to Chamonix next week and had planned to climb the Frison Roche on le Brevant. However I've just found out that the Brevant cable car is out of action until December.

Has anyone walked to the start of this route? If so I'd appreciate some idea on best route, time etc..

Many thanks

Tony
Read more : Get to Frison Roche on le Brevant without the Cable Car?? | Views : 571 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Europe

where to go climbing in the Alps next week

Three of us have a climbing week planned from next saturday (sept 6) and the week after. Prepared for Salbitschijen (westridge if possible) in Uri alps, Switzerland, but the forecast isn't looking too good at the moment.

We are now considering moving to South Tyrol or Dolomites (better forecast), but we have no information, experience or topos in the Dolomites and my job is keeping me from better preparation. So I'm looking for advice on ...
Read more : where to go climbing in the Alps next week | Views : 1275 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Europe

Swiss winter peaks for climbing and snowboarding

Me and my climbing partners have climbed quite a bit in the kandersteg area mostly pd peaks. What we are planning this winter is climbing the wildstrubel then snowboard down it ?

We have climbed wildstrubel a few times so we know the peak.

Does anyone think that this peak is too risky to try a winter ascent then a decent by snowboarding ? If so does anyone have any other suggestions where this idea ...
Read more : Swiss winter peaks for climbing and snowboarding | Views : 936 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Europe

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558062 • Total topics 55845 • Total members 136665