It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:10 pm

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Open-cast mine in the Andean Cordillera

Open-cast mine in the Andean Cordillera

Halt the destruction of glaciers providing pure water

No to Pascua Lama Open-cast mine in the Andean Cordillera on the Chilean-Argentine frontier. We ask the Chilean Government not to authorize the Pascua Lama project to protect the whole of 3 glaciers, the purity of the water of the San Felix Valley and El Transito, the quality of the agricultural land of the region of Atacama, the quality of life ...
Read more : Open-cast mine in the Andean Cordillera | Views : 1175 | Replies : 3

Weather at Huaraz

Does somebody knows any webpage w2ith information about the weather at the Cordillera Blanca?, the weather right know here in Huaraz is bad and I would like to know how is going to develop to make accurate climbing plans.
Thank you
Read more : Weather at Huaraz | Views : 1306 | Replies : 1

Things to do in/around Rio

I'll be traveling to Rio de Janeiro the end of this month. I'll have about three days to do stuff.
Any recommendations? Scrambles or anything which I could solo (up to low 5th class)?

I was looking at the Sugar Loaf page - it mentions there are several climbing options to get up it.
I'm not familiar with the grading system though. Could any one give me some info about the
conversion to US grading ...
Read more : Things to do in/around Rio | Views : 785 | Replies : 1

Partner Needed Now in Huaraz

My partner got some bad frostbite on Chopicalqui and has to go home to the US. So I am available now and can climb until I go home to NY on Aug 7. Send me an e mail to tjf24@columbia.edu or stop by my apartment in Huaraz...813 Jr. Julian de Morales, Apt 3C. There´s a buzzer by the door. I´m looking to do Tocllaraju West Face, Artesonraju, Alpamayo, Quitaraju, or ...
Read more : Partner Needed Now in Huaraz | Views : 1578 | Replies : 1

Fuel canister in Peru

Don't remember from previous trips as I was using white gas...
Where would it be possible to buy fuel canisters (isobutane) in Peru :?:
Read more : Fuel canister in Peru | Views : 3125 | Replies : 4

Climbing shops in Lima

I`ll be arriving in Lima tomorrow on my way to the Cordillera Blanca. Can anyone recommend a climbing shop in town. I`m looking for Brad Johnson`s guidebook, Classic climbs in the CB. I`ve looked all over La Paz the last few weeks and have had no luck in locating it.
Read more : Climbing shops in Lima | Views : 1850 | Replies : 2

Chile/Aconcagua

Hey,
I'm looking for a climbing partner in 2007 Jan.
I'm interested in alpin routes around Santiago and climbing Aconcagua (not normal route).
Any interest?
Cheers,
Melinda
Read more : Chile/Aconcagua | Views : 1477 | Replies : 1

Conditions info/partner wanted for Cordillera Blanca 7/11-?

I am currently in Bolivia having just finished climbs in the Condoriri, Huayana, and Illimani. I`m headed back to Huayna on 7/6 to do the via de los franceses and then my partners are headed back to the states. I think on Sunday I`ll be headed off to Huaraz to check out the Blanca. I should be well acclimatized and ready to do some climbing right away.Would love to get some general info on snow ...
Read more : Conditions info/partner wanted for Cordillera Blanca 7/11-? | Views : 1361 | Replies : 1

Hey, I´m in Tabacundo right now...

Anyone else in Ecuador looking for weekend fun let me know, or even if you´re just here, I would like to know how many of us are here.
Read more : Hey, I´m in Tabacundo right now... | Views : 642 | Replies : 0

PERU - Ausangate trek question

Here in Peru and planning to start the Ausangate trek day after tomorrow. My question is, what are the odds that we will not find a horseman in Tinqui? We need to know ahead of time, otherwise we run the risk of not being able to do the trek with all the extra stuff we brought (extra tent and food for the horseman).

If anyone knows, please post your response!
Read more : PERU - Ausangate trek question | Views : 1256 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557969 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136451