It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:18 am

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Do not hire Acomara expeditions company

In 2014 I trained hard to find the summit of Aconcagua in Argentina. I looked for sponsors to cover expenses and I joined a trading expedition, as my fellow climber could not accompany me.

I hired ACOMARA expeditions who do not recommend for the following reasons:

1. Your website has enough information which promise much but with very poor results. Sales are the most essential to the agency. The success or failure doesn’t matter.

2. ...
Read more : Do not hire Acomara expeditions company | Views : 7701 | Replies : 1

Huayhuash, does it live up to the hype? Compared to Nepal?

My wife and I are considering going to Peru to do some trekking. We're avid hikers but haven't really done any long distance treks, mainly because we haven't been to Nepal, there's no trekking in the Rockies, and when we spent a month in the Alps we found we could see a lot more spectacular scenery moving around and doing dayhikes and overnights here and there instead of committing two weeks to say Tour du ...
Read more : Huayhuash, does it live up to the hype? Compared to Nepal? | Views : 15172 | Replies : 21

Wantsan or Hantsan

Has anyone made an attempt on this peak in the Cordillera Blanca?
I am planning a trip this summer with Altitude Junkies and curious about others experiences on this peak.
Is it really TD- ?

Thanks!

- Doug
Read more : Wantsan or Hantsan | Views : 3122 | Replies : 0

Peru for newbies

Hi All,

We're headed to Peru. We have a blank slate for 10 days. I'm just starting my research.
Machu Pichu is obviously on the list.

Anything else a wildlife, mountain loving mama would enjoy?

Any itinerary suggestions?

2 teenagers in tow.

THANKS,
Tigerlilly
Read more : Peru for newbies | Views : 11671 | Replies : 17

Bolivia Mountain Guides- Summer 2015

Hello everbody,
I am planning to visit Bolivia and planning to climb Pequena Alpamayo, Huana Potosi and either Sajama or Parincota. I looked on online for some guide companies and was wondering if any body has any experience with boliviamountain guides (http://www.bolivianmountainguides.com) or Bolivia Mountains (http://www.bolivianmountains.com) or Bolivian Journeys (http://www.bolivianjourneys.org).

I am just one person and looking ...
Read more : Bolivia Mountain Guides- Summer 2015 | Views : 9217 | Replies : 7

Illiniza Norte, Cotopaxi and Chimbo

So I had to cancel my Aconcagua plans (long story) but I now find myself living in Colombia for a bit and have the next 3 weeks free.

Looking to hit up Ecuador and climb these 3 mountains. I have done zero cardio for about 3 months but on the plus side I have been living around 1500-2000m for that time (Mexico City and Medellin). I am wanting to do the first two climbs and ...
Read more : Illiniza Norte, Cotopaxi and Chimbo | Views : 8889 | Replies : 15

Suggestions for Bolivian peaks?

What's a fun peak that is fairly accessible from La Paz? 6000m+ would be nice but not the end of the world if it is not. Huayna Potosi seems like the logical choice but not sure if my wife will enjoy the exposure of the summit ridge. Any other recommendations?
Read more : Suggestions for Bolivian peaks? | Views : 5123 | Replies : 5

Can I do Parinacota in Jan or is it better starting May?

Hi,

I'm just a hiker with limited winter experience and I was thinking going to Bolivia and try climb Parinacota (with a guide from http://www.bolivianjourneys.org/ after some acclimatization, say doing a trekking tour "Cordillera Real Fast").

Weather wise it looks like this:

http://www.meoweather.com/history/Chile ... l?units=c#

Although the guide (Marco Soria) says only some rain might happen in Jan (not too cold, not bellow ...
Read more : Can I do Parinacota in Jan or is it better starting May? | Views : 3666 | Replies : 2

Aconcagua Aymara Dorm Beds - Anyone used or seen them?

I'm planning a trip up the Aconcagua Normal route,
through Confluencia & PdM, for the 2015-16 season using Aymara's logistical services.
In addition to their dinning tents, they list having dorm beds available at these camps.
These are described as structural tents with bunk beds and carpeted floors.
They also advertise prepackaged meals for high camps.
Has anyone seen or used these facilities or the prepackaged meals and able to comment on them?
Any other ...
Read more : Aconcagua Aymara Dorm Beds - Anyone used or seen them? | Views : 3623 | Replies : 1

Cordillera Blanca Expedition Costs?

Howdy folks~

I'm in the preliminary phases of planning a month long expedition to the Blanca. I'm looking for a little advice (ballpark #'s of course) on the costs of hiring cooks, mules and arrieros. We (party of 2, just my lovely wife and I) plan on spending a week + in the Ishinca valley and another week climbing either Chopicalqui or Artesonraju. I know that the variables are unlimited, so I'm just looking to ...
Read more : Cordillera Blanca Expedition Costs? | Views : 4620 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136425