It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 6:08 am

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

castle bm, highland range, nevada

has anyone climbed the actual highpoint block ? looks pretty damn tough, but i'm not a climber. i saw some usgs markers on the bump just north, but none said "castle". and that's not the highpoint anyway. feels incomplete w/out standing on the actual high point. :(

and what a scenic area !
Read more : castle bm, highland range, nevada | Views : 3381 | Replies : 2

Ruby Mountains Peak ID Help

I managed to forget to make a mental note of details when I took this picture. It is from the summit of Thomas Peak. I believe the view is to the west or southwest. Any help is appreciated.

Read more : Ruby Mountains Peak ID Help | Views : 4499 | Replies : 3

Idea for a new national park in New Mexico

As everyone knows, all the western states have at least one signature national park (except Idaho, but near miss Sawtooth would have made a great one!). While the Carlsbad Caverns certainly deserve to be a national park, I have always felt like New Mexico was never very well represented by that park, as the cave parks all seem similar to me. While a park in the Gila would be cool, I think that it is ...
Read more : Idea for a new national park in New Mexico | Views : 34108 | Replies : 66

Latir Peaks in New Mexico: New Pages Needed.

When Truchas took off a while back he yanked a number of pages from New Mexico. Many of them have been replaced, but three outstanding peaks from the Latir Peak Wilderness are still waiting for replacement. These are Virsylvia Peak, Cabresto Peak and Cabresto Sur Este. These are fine mountains in a beautiful part of New Mexico. I hope someone can add them soon! Map showing locations.
Read more : Latir Peaks in New Mexico: New Pages Needed. | Views : 3003 | Replies : 1

Not a good way to go!

At this to your list of objective hazards.

Bee attack on Camalback causes a fall and death.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/national_world&id=8866721
Read more : Not a good way to go! | Views : 3892 | Replies : 5

Links Broken - South Truchas Page Needs Revamp

The South Truchas page, in my opinion, needs to be revamped. It is not a terrible page, especially by SPV1 standards, but, given its current condition, I think such a significant mountain deserves a better page. Even though the owner has logged in this year, he is pretty inactive. The links have been broken since Truchas/ATTM quit and nothing has been done with the page for years. Just my two cents...
Read more : Links Broken - South Truchas Page Needs Revamp | Views : 2857 | Replies : 2

NM Fall Colors?

There's a ton of updates from Colorado, but it's hard to find reports on New Mexico fall color conditions, so let's share what we've got! This is Big Tesuque from the top of the quad at Ski Santa Fe, yesterday September 23. Nearing peak, but still a good number of green patches, more green the lower you go.

Anyone been up in the Jemez lately? Chama area and Hwy 64? Pecos Wilderness, Taylor, Sandias, ...
Read more : NM Fall Colors? | Views : 4986 | Replies : 5

Hiking Boundary Peak 10/27/2012

Hi, I'm planning flying to San Diego the last weekend of October to take advantage of cheap Delta air tickets. I plan on climbing Mt. Boundary on Oct 27th. Anyone interested to join me please let me know.
Read more : Hiking Boundary Peak 10/27/2012 | Views : 5495 | Replies : 11

Buckskin Gulch / Paria Canyon in late November

Sorry for the double post, but this route starts in Utah and ends in Arizona, so i didn't know which room to put it in:

Hi. I've done this trip a couple of times, including once in mid-March when i didn't think it was too cold. That said, i can't find any info of people doing it this time of year, and the BLM site's (confusing) graph seems to indicate highs of 50 and lows ...
Read more : Buckskin Gulch / Paria Canyon in late November | Views : 12463 | Replies : 9

Boundary Peak/Queen Mine to Saddle in a Subaru?

Has anyone driven all the way to the saddle in a Subaru Outback? It is a 4x4 but does not have a super high clearance.
Thank you!
madeintahoe
Read more : Boundary Peak/Queen Mine to Saddle in a Subaru? | Views : 3338 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558014 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136574