It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:35 am

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Organ Mtns Conditions Organ Mtns Conditions

Anybody have any news from the southern part of the state? I was hoping to play a little in the area (low 5th class) but I'd like to know about possible complications from snow and ice if there is any. Thanks!
Read more : Organ Mtns Conditions | Views : 2484 | Replies : 4

Rim to Rim

OK, a buddy has suggesting doing the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim. Stay on the South Rim, hike to the lodge on the North Rim, stay overnight, then back to the South Rim. What is a realistic time for each leg? This would be hiking at a brisk pace, NOT trail running. Would do it in fall to avoid the heat. (I believe the North Rim lodge is closed in winter.) I have done Rainier, Baker, Adams, ...
Read more : Rim to Rim | Views : 3191 | Replies : 12

What Are These? Aerial Photos.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.10241,-103.01185&z=15&t=S

They look like buildings with ponds around them. Maybe poultry or hog barns?

For reference, this is in the Texas panhandle along the NM border.
Read more : What Are These? Aerial Photos. | Views : 4024 | Replies : 8

Red Rocks Scrambles

I am headed into Vegas dec 1-11 with my lady friend. I have recently moved back east and desperately need time in the hills. So im thinking hitch hike out to red rocks from the airport and backcounrty camp and scramble for the 10 days. There are seemingly a ton of great scrambles in the area... im looking for advice on the best and also good camp spots in the "Back Country". We are comfortable ...
Read more : Red Rocks Scrambles | Views : 2745 | Replies : 2

Hiking near Tucson

Will be visiting family in Tuscon Arizona this weekend. I have 1 day to hike. I am looking for hike recommendations or perhaps a guidebook I could get a hold of on short notice. I am looking for relative solitude (trail not packed with people), views, and the feeling of being in a remote area. Hiking a peak would be nice but not a requirement. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Edit: Ideally the drive ...
Read more : Hiking near Tucson | Views : 4800 | Replies : 10

Tragedy for the New Mexico landscape

I loved the Jemez. I have a lot of great memories there:

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/ ... php#page-2

Does anyone know exactly how burned the Jemez is? What is Bandalier like? Valles Caldera? What is the San Diego River like? The north side, around Cerro Pedernal? I have not been able to find much on this.
Read more : Tragedy for the New Mexico landscape | Views : 6871 | Replies : 17

Sombrero Peak, Tucson

I lived in the shadow of Sombrero Peak and sadly have no photos of my time there. The view of the peak when you are headed west (East of I-10)
on Cortero Rd. is, to me, the best one defining the "sombrero" shape. Would anyone out there have a photo taken from that vantage point?
Thanks in advance.

I just found this site. Love it!

ClydeL
Read more : Sombrero Peak, Tucson | Views : 2234 | Replies : 0

Humphreys Peak conditions?

Looking for some beta regarding Humphreys Peak... snow on the mountain? conditions (probable conditions) of the Weatherford Trail? I live in Glendale and was planning a climb via the Weatherford Trail tomorrow (10-8). Any information from locals in the area would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Read more : Humphreys Peak conditions? | Views : 7236 | Replies : 18

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136425