It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:36 am

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Fuel Canister Near ABQ

I'll be flying into ABQ and going camping south of town. Is there any place around there where I can buy an isopro fuel canister for my MSR stove? I know of the REI north of town on 25 but I'm hoping to find something on my way out.
Read more : Fuel Canister Near ABQ | Views : 1511 | Replies : 2

Helicopter crash on Charleston; curious science

http://www.lvrj.com/news/breaking_news/ ... 80722.html

"Due to higher density altitude, the helicopter 'thinks' it’s higher than it really is, Lorenz said.

'In layman’s terms, if you’re outside and cutting the grass on a normal day you’re going to be fine, but if you’re outside cutting the grass in 110-degree temperatures, you’re not going to perform at your best,' Lorenz said."

That higher density altitude is dangerous stuff.
Read more : Helicopter crash on Charleston; curious science | Views : 3444 | Replies : 13

Which National/State Parks should I definitely visit?

I'm going for three weeks to the US Southwest soon.

Which National/State Parks should I definitely visit, besides Gran Canyon? (I'm referring to
most impressive views and great hiking).

Which peaks should I definitely climb?

I know it may be a tough question, and I have kind of a list already, but any recommendations are welcome. Am curious for your reply ...

Thanks!
Read more : Which National/State Parks should I definitely visit? | Views : 6874 | Replies : 21

Climbing in northern NM in mid October?

I may have a chance to head up to the northern NM mountains in mid October and I was wondering what kind of conditions to expect. I would probably attempt Jicarita Peak, but Wheeler or Truchas are also possibilities.

It would be a weekend trip from TX so the altitude will definitely be a factor. I should have access to a family cabin at 9000ft that is about a 9 mile hike to Jicarita. Cold ...
Read more : Climbing in northern NM in mid October? | Views : 2956 | Replies : 10

Jeff Davis from Wheeler Peak?

I read about the Wheeler Peak traverse to Jeff Davis Peak. Seems to be mostly a class 2 scramble. How much mileage does it add RT from Wheeler Peak? Approximate time needed? Might as well catch two birds with one stone, right :D
Read more : Jeff Davis from Wheeler Peak? | Views : 7663 | Replies : 29

Boundary Peak, NV dilemma

Looking for some advice. I'm going to hike Boundary Peak, NV this summer. I'm on a rather long driving execursion going through several states to hike high points and other type of features. I have a camry hybird or a 4Runner, obviously the camry gets twice as much miles per gallon than the 4runner. My question is which hike should i do on Boudary - Queens Mine which I read requires a 4WD (will my ...
Read more : Boundary Peak, NV dilemma | Views : 4095 | Replies : 10

wtf Everett Reuss' body found!

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 5090.story

crazy if this is true; much less glamorous than i imagined for all these years, but an amazing story nonetheless.
Read more : wtf Everett Reuss' body found! | Views : 2914 | Replies : 7

What sucks about AZ

Certainly not the mountains. After a fairly successful week of driving around the state chasing DPS peaks, I came home to a letter from the AZ Department of Public Safety that I have been somewhat of a public nuisance, and the cost of driving 67mph in a 55mph zone is a whopping $181. It might have helped if I clued in that the state has these photo radar detectors all over the Phoenix area, but, ...
Read more : What sucks about AZ | Views : 27345 | Replies : 121

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557949 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136410