wtf Everett Reuss' body found!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
jareds

wtf Everett Reuss' body found!

by jareds » Sun May 03, 2009 9:13 am

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 5090.story

crazy if this is true; much less glamorous than i imagined for all these years, but an amazing story nonetheless.

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Sun May 03, 2009 2:20 pm

There is a big article on this in the latest National Georaphic Adventure magazine by Dave Roberts. The site below has photos.

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/2009/04/everett-ruess/dna-test-text
Last edited by Stu Brandel on Sun May 03, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CheesySciFi

by CheesySciFi » Sun May 03, 2009 7:45 pm

Fascinating. Previous speculation was that he drowned, but it looks like he was murdered.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Sun May 03, 2009 10:24 pm

So did the grandfather, who claims to have seen the murder, bury him, and was it his saddle that was found at the site with blood on it. I wonder...Did he try to bury Ruess out of respect, or was the article saying he was one of the murderers.

Amazing.

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Tue May 05, 2009 1:01 am

The full magazine article indicated the Navajo man had first viewed the victim from a canyon rim (Comb Rige). For several days, Ruess was travelling back and forth in the valley with two mules, as if he had lost something. At some point later, He witnessed three Ute men chasing him, catching up to him and and knocking him on the head. 'They left him for dead and took off with the mules and whatever else the guy had".

Navajos and Utes, the article explained, had sometimes violent incidents even into the 1930's. The Navajo man stayed out of sight. When the 3 had left, he went down to Ruess, who was dead, and hauled him to the top of the rim and buried him.

The full article is fascinating. If you are unfamiliar with David Roberts, I highly recommend his books on the Southwest. He was the reason I started reading National Geographic Adventure 10 years ago.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Thu May 07, 2009 5:14 am

Sbrande wrote:The full magazine article indicated the Navajo man had first viewed the victim from a canyon rim (Comb Rige). For several days, Ruess was travelling back and forth in the valley with two mules, as if he had lost something. At some point later, He witnessed three Ute men chasing him, catching up to him and and knocking him on the head. 'They left him for dead and took off with the mules and whatever else the guy had".

Navajos and Utes, the article explained, had sometimes violent incidents even into the 1930's. The Navajo man stayed out of sight. When the 3 had left, he went down to Ruess, who was dead, and hauled him to the top of the rim and buried him.

The full article is fascinating. If you are unfamiliar with David Roberts, I highly recommend his books on the Southwest. He was the reason I started reading National Geographic Adventure 10 years ago.

Thanks for the info. When I lived in Torrey, and read a bunch of stuff on him. Then didn't follow his continuing story until I heard it on NPR last week. Thanks.

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:50 pm

Some info I ran across. It's not "new" but it was new to me and I didn't see it posted anywhere else on SP.

It looks like new evidence indicates the found body was NOT that of Everett Ruess'

http://ngadventure.typepad.com/blog/201 ... wrong.html

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks for the info - I had missed this entirely. Perhaps if Nat Geo Adventure magazine had not folded, I would have seen it.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)