It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:35 am

News News of Utah

Site map of Utah » Forum : Utah

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.

Mt. Olympus winter climb

Thinking about hitting one of the ridge routes on mt. Olympus this weekend. Anyone interested or have any information on the climb during the winter?
Conditions on the main trail right now?
Read more : Mt. Olympus winter climb | Views : 2624 | Replies : 1

Backcountry Skier Dies in Avalanche in Wasatch

Looks like they were skiing the Meadow Chutes in Silver Fork. No good details yet on the actual avalanche. Very sad.

Skier dies in avalanche near Solitude

Update: UAC Second Hand Report

Accident & Rescue Summary:

Preliminary details of fatality in Meadow Chutes of Silver Fork from talking with the Solitude Ski Patrol

Meadow Chutes is a popular area for backcountry skiing, which are a series of east-facing, open slopes just west, and across Silver ...
Read more : Backcountry Skier Dies in Avalanche in Wasatch | Views : 4045 | Replies : 5

St. George/Zion conditions

I plan on heading down to do angel's landing this weekend. I know the mountains down there got snow; I just don't know how high that landing is compared to the mountains. Bottomline, does anyone know the conditions for the park in general?
Read more : St. George/Zion conditions | Views : 1826 | Replies : 4

Provo Canyon Ice

Climbed three of your WI 5 routes in there this past week along with a mixed route. You apparently have had warm conditions in December and/or January.

Stairway to Heaven is missing the last two pitches. The first five were in decent shape, kind of picked out of course compared to what I am used to.

The Fang's tube is dangerous. We observed this route slide good last week, so got on it. But that ...
Read more : Provo Canyon Ice | Views : 3131 | Replies : 6

best technical cyns in Robbers Roost area?

Heading to the Maze this spring, and have an extra day or two for a canyon along the way. I'm wondering which canyons are best in the Robbers Roost area? White Roost and Larry both look interesting, but I'm looking for suggestions or recommendations.
Read more : best technical cyns in Robbers Roost area? | Views : 2200 | Replies : 4

Signal Peak (UT)

I'll be in the St. George, UT area this weekend looking to visit Signal Peak. I understand the Pine Valley approach is preferable during winter and that avalanche danger is minimal. Any info or advice regarding winter route/conditions would be appreciated. Possible to hit Burger Peak along the way? I hear there is some bristlecone pine in the area... :)
Read more : Signal Peak (UT) | Views : 3023 | Replies : 3

white weasel or ferret in bcc

skinning up mill d yesterday and saw this maybe foot-long ferrett like creature zipping up and down the hill, solid white.

a)anyone know what this is called?

b)how come i haven't seen these in the summer?

thanks!
Read more : white weasel or ferret in bcc | Views : 2942 | Replies : 1

Accident on the Great White Icicle?

I was driving down Little Cottonwood Canyon this afternoon, and saw a whole lot of rescue folks and vehicles gathered by the Great White Icicle.

Anyone know what happened?
Read more : Accident on the Great White Icicle? | Views : 2026 | Replies : 1

New Mountain Gear catalog, where in Utah is this ice climb?

Very cool cover on the new mgear catalog, anyone know where this is?

The photographer was Whit Richardson, the climber is Ralph Ferrara, the description says "a sandstone arch in Utah."

Anyway, a very cool photo and fun looking climb.

Read more : New Mountain Gear catalog, where in Utah is this ice climb? | Views : 6349 | Replies : 10

Solitude ski resort wants to expand into Silver Fork

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_13860390

First Alta's proposed expansion up Flagstaff Mountain, and now this. The ski resorts just want it all. Greedy bastards. I hope this cancerous insanity gets thoroughly shouted down, and in fact I'd like to see Silver Fork included in the Twin Peaks Wilderness Area.

P.S. It's pretty funny that someone got the idea that the Meadow Chutes are 50-60 degrees. Maybe we should try to convince them that they do not want the liability ...
Read more : Solitude ski resort wants to expand into Silver Fork | Views : 3113 | Replies : 6

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557962 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136430