It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 am

News News of Utah

Site map of Utah » Forum : Utah

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.

Practice on 50 degree snow/ice in SLC area

Hey all-

I'm planning on doing some climbing down in Peru this summer and wanted to get some experience in climbing sustained slopes of 50 degrees or so of snow and ice. Any suggestions on climbs that might be good for this in the Salt Lake City area this winter?

Thanks!
M
Read more : Practice on 50 degree snow/ice in SLC area | Views : 6417 | Replies : 23

Utah hikers spotting ice

Its becoming alpine ice season, and I would certainly appreciate everyone in Utah keeping their eyes peeled for it, and reporting it here. Timp in particular, but also in the Stansburys, La Sals, and Uintas, there are areas high enough to be getting snow and yet have a Freeze-Thaw going on over the next few weeks.

Thanks
Read more : Utah hikers spotting ice | Views : 7999 | Replies : 22

conditions on Lone Peak

I posted this thread on the mountaineering ongoing thread but I don't know where it will get the most attention. Sorry about posting it twice.

I saw the pics of red and white baldy from that thread and saw how little snow there was. Are the conditions the same on Lone Peak as well? If there is little snow, I may very well go up on Saturday. If anyone knows, please advise. Thanks!
Read more : conditions on Lone Peak | Views : 2678 | Replies : 2

Olympus

A buddy and I are planning to hike Olympus this Saturday. Neither of us have been up there before. We're thinking about traversing over from the south peak to the north peak then descending the west ridge. I've read the route report for the traverse and it sounds like fun, but it seems as if there are many chutes and ledges up into the north peaks and picking the "correct" ones might be difficult (maybe ...
Read more : Olympus | Views : 3160 | Replies : 9

Where's MOCKBA?

I miss reading his wise words and observations.
Read more : Where's MOCKBA? | Views : 3425 | Replies : 12

Finally able to get high (non-pharmaceutically) in Utah

After failed trips as a scout and as a scout-herder, I had the summit of Kings to myself on Labor Day. Left at 4:30 am and enjoyed the full moon through the forest - suprised numerous wildlife, and a few bow hunters. Summited around 12:30 and made my back to the truck at 7:30. It was a perfect weather day. Thanks to those I got info from as well as the "Kings in a Day" ...
Read more : Finally able to get high (non-pharmaceutically) in Utah | Views : 3859 | Replies : 14

Lone Peak

I was going to post a thread about hiking Lone Peak tomorrow, the 15th, and invite anyone to join me, but with the way the weather is looking, I don't know if the hike is going to happen. I wanted to get a few people so as to hike up Jacob's Ladder and then come down the Cherry Canyon trail. (I HATE going DOWN Jacob's) I thought of getting up really early, like being at ...
Read more : Lone Peak | Views : 2924 | Replies : 2

Ongoing Utah Mountaineering Thread: Summer 2009

I thought I'd start this season's thread with a pic from a 3hr. rountrip jaunt Todd & Winslow Passey and I did on the South Ridge of Superior, via poleline.

This is Todd jogging back on the road to the Chickadee Lift parking where we started. Both of them having recently gotten back from Denali (Winslow got back the night before), they cruised the ridge in 1.5 hrs. and kindly waited for me at the ...
Read more : Ongoing Utah Mountaineering Thread: Summer 2009 | Views : 16169 | Replies : 60

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557948 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136406