NNN BC boots

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:28 am

OJ Loenneker wrote:Why NNN? Why not just a three pin binding?

You can still get leather boots,or if you want, use plastic tele boots. I have a pair of Alpina's and they hike just as well as most other boots that I have, plus they have a real sole on the so there is not much to muck up (well, the holes for the pins could get clogged, but I have rarely had that happen.

Plus, you'll be able to pull real tele turn in them as well. :shock: :P

3 pins binding and apropriate boots was my choice from 1984. At that time the main problems with 75mm sole was the crampons. For my 75mm plastic boots from Zeta Nord, Charlet Moser made for me this special crampon

as I used in this ski traverse in april 1984

In my opinion for BC skiing - light gear not AT - the most important is the boots versatility not bindings or downhill techniques as tele turns. Is more comfy to walk with hiking boots than any other, as tele boots i.e. This is just my point of view [/img]
Last edited by Mihai Tanase on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:30 am

Mihai Tanase wrote:
OJ Loenneker wrote:Why NNN? Why not just a three pin binding?

You can still get leather boots,or if you want, use plastic tele boots. I have a pair of Alpina's and they hike just as well as most other boots that I have, plus they have a real sole on the so there is not much to muck up (well, the holes for the pins could get clogged, but I have rarely had that happen.

Plus, you'll be able to pull real tele turn in them as well. :shock: :P

3 pins binding and apropriate boots was my choice from 1984. At that time the main problems with 75mm sole was the crampons. For my 75mm plastic boots from Zeta Nord, Charlet Moser made for me this special crampon

as I used in this ski traverse in april 1984

In my opinion for BC skiing - light gear not AT - the most important is the boots versatility not bindings or downhill techniques as tele turns. Is more comfy to walk with hiking boots than any other, as tele boots i.e. This is just my point of view :roll:

Why I cannot put my pictures into my comment ? :cry:

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:58 am

Mihai...when I copied and pasted the URL in your post it opened a page with empty image content. BUT when I clicked on the image box it opened in "paint." I'm no wizard with this but perhaps someone who is could clear this up for you?

no avatar
coldfoot

by coldfoot » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:15 am

Mihai, you are using an img tag but it points to a web page (a html file). It needs to point to an image like a .jpg file to be displayed in your post.

Opinions (esp. from store clerks) of the obsoleteness of 3-pin bindings may be shaped by the old lightweight 3-pin bindings that were used on classic XC skis, the ones that often had a light wire (or even plastic) toe bail. Those really are no longer made. They also were flexible enough that you'd pop out if the binding was torqued, just like a light NNN binding will. You can still get heavy 3-pin bindings that fit heavier boots with thicker duckbills, though.

There is also a difference, which I believe the OP is aware of, between NNN and NNN-BC boots: NNN have a hard plastic sole and NNN-BC are more like a hiking boot.

If you're more interested in touring than doing very steep things try reading here: http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/Dirtbag ... rtbag.html

MoapaPk

Re: NNN BC boots

by MoapaPk » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:23 am

MarthaP wrote:
But I'll STILL take an NNN over a 3-pin any day. Easier to get in and out of, smoother kick'n' glide. And if I want big turns, I go with A/T. That's why I have four pair of skis and as many pair of boots. Different conditions, different needs, different gear.

I guess I can see why. In my old, very light 50 mm 3-pin set-up, I could step-turn through a lot of pain. In the stiff 75-mm boots, I had to stem christie or run into trees.

I'm never going to have that responsiveness in my right foot again, so I guess I'm looking for miracles.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:25 am

coldfoot - good post on several levels.

Moapa - OW.

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:25 am

Mihai Tanase wrote:
Mihai Tanase wrote:Why I cannot put my pictures into my comment ? :cry:

Now they are 8)

Previous

Return to Gear