Non-climber biting off too much?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:31 am

This sounds like an very high quality trip!!! Good for you.

I was in Harrison 2 years ago but bailed out due to severe weather. People go over that pass all the time and the horse packers tell me it's true that men have taken stock over that pass. The top can be loose. I bailed due to rock avalanche activity after a heavy rain. But the day before two guys came down no problem. Once you are down into the upper lakes, cross to the south side of the stream down to Harrison Lakes, once down off the slabs, before the lake, cross to the north side. The trail is pretty good. It's an old trail that stays open due to use. Steep old-style switch backs. Down from the lake it's easy to loose the trail where and avalanche knocked down the trees a some years ago. Cross this swamp to the dry forest on the other side and follow steep switch backs down a while but then turn right and stay high. The trail is pretty course but is still used regularly by the horse packers. You'll traverse north and come down in a large meadow upstream from East Lake. Unless you want to go to Lake Reflection, which I recommend. In that case just bomb straight down the drainage from Harrison lakes or go with whatever looks good. East Lake is supurb. Good camping, bear boxes.

I went through Junction Meadow last month on the High Sierra trail. Your trip sounds like one that I would very much like to do some day.

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:50 pm

I haven't done either of them, but I've heard Ericsson pass is slightly easier than Harrison Pass. Can anybody confirm this? (Ericsson Pass is right next to Harrison.)

I wouldn't let the lack of technical climbing experience deter you from trying these passes. Your endurance and route-finding will be much more important. Most of these x-country passes are higher and much more tiring than the trails.

But, like Pete said, they're not to be taken lightly either. The passes you mentioned are remote and a place you really don't want to get hurt.

Michael Graupe

by Michael Graupe » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:28 pm

I just went over Harrison Pass a month ago, going up the north side on my way from Deerhorn to Caltech Peak. The map shows a trail but in reality there is no trail. It is a steep but easy class 2 chute (mostly sandy scree with a bit more talus lower down) going through the cliffs. It was exhausting going up because it was loose, but this should not be a problem coming down. There was still a significant snow field which I was able to bypass but earlier in the season crampons and axe may be required.

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

Re: Non-climber biting off too much?

by Dave K » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:52 pm

Ezmate wrote:I posted the following question on Backpacker.com and haven't received any responses...in my hours of googling for answers, this site comes up repeatedly & I was hoping some of you'd be able to help me:

Next week, my wife & I will be doing the "Circle of Solitude" in SEKI. For those unfamiliar with that name/trail, here's the official description (it's all national park trail):

*Start @ Road's End on the Bubbs Creek Trail
*Head South on the Sphinx Creek Trail
*Cross Avalanche Pass
*At the Roaring River intersection, head south along the Cloud Canyon Trail
*Veer off towards Colby Pass
*Head down towards Junction Meadow (at the Kern River)
*At Junction Meadow, head north towards Lake South America.
*At Lake South America, head East to the John Muir Trail & cross over Forester Pass
*Make your way back down to the Bubbs Creek Trail & go back to your car.
*Overall Distance: 68 miles.

We're thinking of doing a bit of off-trail hiking this trip & have proposed these 2 route changes:

*After Colby Pass, head up Milestone Bowl & cross Milestone Pass into the Milestone Basin. This will eventually take us pretty close to Lake South America without needing to go down to Junction Meadow.

*At Lake South America, go over Harrison Pass & wander down the basin to the East Lake trail. This trail eventually leads back to the Bubbs Creek Trail.

I've been able to find decent information on Harrison Pass, but I'm getting mixed signals on just how "scary" the North part of the pass is. Any comments? We'll be coming down the Northern face of the pass.

For Milestone pass, there's only a bit of information that I've been able to find: "After the pass, follow the ridge to the left [NE] until you find an easy way down to Milestone Creek". Anybody out there done this route?

My wife & I are both pretty experienced backpackers and in decent shape, but neither of us has much experience with off-trail hiking in the mountains - that's part of what this trip is about. We don't plan or want to carry rope with us (we've only used technical equipment 4-5 times & all of that was canyoneering in Zion) & I would call our climbing experience non-existant. Remember, we'll be doing all of this with 30 lbs packs on (more or less).

I've crossed into Milestone Basin from Colby Pass/Colby Lake, but took a roundabout route climbing Milestone Mountain in the process. I don't recall the route up to Lake 11,522 being very difficult. But as far as getting up to the pass from Lake 11,522, I can't really comment because the route was quite different from your likely route.

Anway, as I recall, there is some talus and a one short stretch on the Milestone side of the pass that would be a bit tricky with a backpack. Nothing horribly scary, but you might want to have someone downclimb first then hand off the backpacks to the party below. There is a photo somewhere of Norman Clyde helping out a Sierra Club party with this part. I have not hiked down to the basin, but instead remained relatively high to traverse to Midway Mountain. I'd guess that the highest part is the most difficult anyway.

Cross country travel can be quite a bit of fun. My first go at it was hiking Roper's Sierra High Route 20 years ago. You need to really account for the fact that the travel can be quite slow. You might be able to cover a mile x-country in the time it takes to cover three by trail; slower if you cross talus fields, faster in open terrain. Then occassionally, you're going to pick a poor route and have to backtrack. It's all part of the fun.

Have fun, there's some wonderful country back there.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:15 pm

You don't need any climbing experience for class 2 but you need to be sure footed. It's often loose crap that may be tricky with a heavy backpack. I would be careful and take it slow. Twisting an ankle would suck. I've done it myself not too long ago (twisting an ankle that is); made for a looong hike/scramble out.

fatdad

by fatdad » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:54 pm

I had a similar itinerary planning about three years ago but in the clockwise direction. I bailed for a couple of reasons: 1) I couldn't find the use trail that supposedly diverges before Lake Reflection up to Harrison; and 2) I was by myself and, after plowing uphill x-c for a while, I became keenly aware that if I got hurt, it would be a while before someone likely found me. I ended up hanging out at Lake Reflection, which is as pretty as anyplace I've been in the Sierra.

I'd still like to do that loop, but heard lots of discussion about the steep and icy character of Harrison's north side. As a climber, that didn't really concern me. But, while people often report that you can bypass it on loose rock, I took crampons and an ice axe attachment for a ski pole, just in case.

Sounds like a nice trip. I'd love to go back with company and do it right, mostly for the peak bagging potential. My only concern about your post is whether you feel up for it. That fact that you ask suggests that you may have some doubts about your ability/experience? It sounds like a good loop, even without the shortcuts of Milestone and Harrison passes, although sticking to just trail would likely add a couple of days to your trip.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Unless you are really sensitive, altitude should be a non-issue after being out at those elevations for several days.

thegib

by thegib » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:41 am

Sounds like a great route. Don't let the over cautious get you down - off trail travel offers rewards commensurate to the trouble, and you're as likely to break your ankle in your backyard as you are on the rocks. So don't fret. The area south of the Kings-Kern divide is super easy to travel over, (not a talus fest), and very pretty. Harrison pass is very steep scree. No fun at all to try to go up, but with gaiters very do-able sliding down. Ice is not an issue in Sept. It's a spectacular area. Have a great time.

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:44 am

thegib wrote:Sounds like a great route. Don't let the over cautious get you down - off trail travel offers rewards commensurate to the trouble, and you're as likely to break your ankle in your backyard as you are on the rocks. So don't fret. The area south of the Kings-Kern divide is super easy to travel over, (not a talus fest), and very pretty. Harrison pass is very steep scree. No fun at all to try to go up, but with gaiters very do-able sliding down. Ice is not an issue in Sept. It's a spectacular area. Have a great time.

I agree, it should be a blast--in a suffering adventurous kind of way. :D

Next

Return to California