Non-climber biting off too much?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
thegib

by thegib » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:41 am

Sounds like a great route. Don't let the over cautious get you down - off trail travel offers rewards commensurate to the trouble, and you're as likely to break your ankle in your backyard as you are on the rocks. So don't fret. The area south of the Kings-Kern divide is super easy to travel over, (not a talus fest), and very pretty. Harrison pass is very steep scree. No fun at all to try to go up, but with gaiters very do-able sliding down. Ice is not an issue in Sept. It's a spectacular area. Have a great time.

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:44 am

thegib wrote:Sounds like a great route. Don't let the over cautious get you down - off trail travel offers rewards commensurate to the trouble, and you're as likely to break your ankle in your backyard as you are on the rocks. So don't fret. The area south of the Kings-Kern divide is super easy to travel over, (not a talus fest), and very pretty. Harrison pass is very steep scree. No fun at all to try to go up, but with gaiters very do-able sliding down. Ice is not an issue in Sept. It's a spectacular area. Have a great time.

I agree, it should be a blast--in a suffering adventurous kind of way. :D

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:18 am

Fatdad and others who wish to go from East Lake up over Harrison Pass. There are two large meadows above East lake where the horse packers let their stock run. On the uphill side of the 2nd meadow the pack trail to Harrison cuts off the main trail near a fallen log. It's kinda hard to see but it's there. You know you're on it if you start a steep traverse up on what seems to be a well used game trail. This trail puts you up above the talus slope. If you can find this and are otherwise good at route finding you'll get there no problem.

If you go past the 2nd meadow and get to a talus slope. You went too far.

Snowslogger

by Snowslogger » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:29 pm

This sounds like a good adventure. One bit of advice for the passes (in general, not these in particular) - if it seems like it's getting harder than it should, or that you're comfortable with, take some time to look around - there's usually easier and harder ways, and sometimes they're not always obvious.

madeintahoe

by madeintahoe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Ezmate....I do not know what Milestone Pass is like...but I am familier with Milestone Basin...once in there you will find nice use trails..and a pretty good trail out of the basin that will drop you off at the main Kern River Trail just a little south of the Junction of the Upper Kern Cut-off Trail that heads East...staying north on the Kern River trail to Lake South America is a beautiful hike up there..I have seen Harrison Pass looking at it from the area around L. S. America only and it looked like a sandy slog up to it..I also have heard that Ericsson pass may be easier on the north side.

If you have the time I would suggest a layover day in Milestone Baisin...it is absolutly a gorgeous remote area of the Sierra! The Upper Kern River Basin is also very beautiful!
Sounds like a really lovely trip..have a wonderful time!

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:14 pm

SpiderSavage wrote:Fatdad and others who wish to go from East Lake up over Harrison Pass. There are two large meadows above East lake where the horse packers let their stock run. On the uphill side of the 2nd meadow the pack trail to Harrison cuts off the main trail near a fallen log. It's kinda hard to see but it's there. You know you're on it if you start a steep traverse up on what seems to be a well used game trail. This trail puts you up above the talus slope. If you can find this and are otherwise good at route finding you'll get there no problem.

If you go past the 2nd meadow and get to a talus slope. You went too far.

Thanks for the beta. I'd still like to get up there one of these days.

Previous

Return to California