NordicTrack Incline Trainer?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
highlandvillager

NordicTrack Incline Trainer?

by highlandvillager » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:18 pm

Circumstances keep me out of the mountains until next May, but looking for a way to stay prepared physically. At the same time, my wife is looking for a home fitness machine. The only machine that seems to fit both of our needs is an incline trainer. Has anyone used one of these to train for hiking in the mountains? We tried one out in the store for a few minutes the other day and it seemed like it would work, but it's hard to tell for sure in just a few minutes.

climbxclimb

Versa Climber

by climbxclimb » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:47 pm

You should take a look at the Versa Climber. It is expensive but very specific for climbing

http://www.versaclimber.com/

Ze

by Ze » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:24 am

oooh, 40% incline. treadmill with high grade options allows more flexibility, and can definitely give you as intense a workout as you want, but if you are climbing than I agree the Versa would be more specific.

but nice graphic of bullshit by Versa on their site

highlandvillager

by highlandvillager » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Yeah, I would prefer a Versaclimber or a stepmill, which worked really well for me when I had a gym membership. However, neither will work for my wife and I only want to buy one machine. After considering and eliminating several types of machine, we figured the incline trainer would work for her in a flat or nearly flat position like a standard treadmill, and would work for me in a more inclined position to simulate steep mountain trails. Now I'm just looking for feedback from people who have used them. If it's not good, we'll probably buy nothing.

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:59 pm

Treadmill at maximum incline is certainly better than not exercising, but a stair climber is much better preparation for mountain walking with a heavy pack. Try finding a job in a tall building, and take the stairs every day :) You can also put the treadmill up on blocks to boost the incline beyond the recommended maximum (will probably void your warranty).

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:30 pm

I can't think of anyone who has used a versaclimber as their primary training tool. They aren't that useful for just rock climbing--gyms are far better--and they're not as good as a stair stepper since they put you in that awkward pose stradding that thing and incorporating your arms, which is something that doesn't really occur when you humping up trail. They may burn alot of calories. I just don't see alot of transfer to the mountains.

highlandvillager

by highlandvillager » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:30 am

nartreb wrote:Try finding a job...

There are many things I'm willing to do for the sake of my mountaineering hobby, but that's going a little too far! :wink:

highlandvillager

by highlandvillager » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:36 am

nartreb and fatdad - I'm right there with you on the stair climbers (particularly the stepmill variety), but my wife's orthopedic doc specifically said no stairs or stair climbers for her. I also thought of blocking up a treadmill for more incline, but that would make it difficult for my wife to flatten it out for her exercise. I think my only choice is between an incline trainer or nothing.

bodyresults

by bodyresults » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:02 am

Would an elliptical work for your wife?

Ellipticals can be good for indoor training. The motion tends to be a little easier on the body than stair machines or stepmills if you are going to be doing it multiple times a week. In addition you can move the steps in reverse direction for different stimulus.

You can get an elliptical that has an adjustable ramp so you can crank it up for yourself simulate going uphill and you can leave it low for your wife.

My wife and I train to a lot of people for hiking, mountaineering and climbing and for indoor training the elliptical is our first choice. I do like the Versaclimber for interval training since it involves the full body and is very taxing. However, it’s hard to train on this for longer endurance multiple times per week.

If you work up to doing 60 minutes straight with a pack 10 pounds heavier than what you’ll need on your outings a couple times a week and then add a couple more unweighted sessions a week you should be in pretty good shape for hiking in the mountains.

Adding a multi hour hike every 2-3 weeks with a pack even on flat land will help your body get accustomed to the physical demands of what you want to do in the mountains. Finally, a couple full body strength sessions with some flexibility work after would give you a well rounded program for hiking in the mountains.

Ze

by Ze » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:04 pm

nartreb wrote:Treadmill at maximum incline is certainly better than not exercising, but a stair climber is much better preparation for mountain walking with a heavy pack.

why do you think that?

most mountain walking is more like the inclined treadmill than a stair climber. At least from what I'm used to, hiking is done on a grade and not steps. (now if you hike a lot of steps, then the climber could be more specific).

as for better preparation for hiking with a heavy pack, well neither is really better alone since they aren't adding load, but one could add a weighted backpack during training easily.

ksolem

by ksolem » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:54 am

I have some experience working as a trainer, and a lot of the work has been under the direction of physical therapists. The group I work with is not big on treadmills.

Running on a treadmill is not the same as propelling yourself forward over the ground and there is a tendency to cause hip problems as a result.

Before comitting to a regular training program on a treadmill type machine I would do some research into this issue. My knowledge on this is not expert, but I think an eliptical is a far better option.

highlandvillager

by highlandvillager » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:19 am

Ellipticals - Can't stand them. The motion seems very awkward to me, unlike anything I would do while hiking or running. I feel like I'm going to injure myself when I use one. Also, I never feel like I'm doing any work while on one.

Running on treadmills - Neither of us plan to run on this thing. It would strictly be used at a walking pace.

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:34 pm

Ze wrote:
nartreb wrote:Treadmill at maximum incline is certainly better than not exercising, but a stair climber is much better preparation for mountain walking with a heavy pack.

why do you think that?

Simple: treadmill maxes out at 15 degrees. Trails around here are more like 40 degrees (though usually not sustained at that pitch, thanks to Pointless Ups and Downs), and are never smooth. You have to make big steps over rocks, roots, etc etc.

You can walk or run on a treadmill as much as you like, it won't prepare your quads or your calves for the steep stuff. Similarly, adding a pack doesn't make it any harder to walk on the flat, it's when you have to actually lift that weight that it makes a difference.

Ze

by Ze » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:03 am

nartreb wrote:Simple: treadmill maxes out at 15 degrees. Trails around here are more like 40 degrees (though usually not sustained at that pitch, thanks to Pointless Ups and Downs), and are never smooth. You have to make big steps over rocks, roots, etc etc.

You can walk or run on a treadmill as much as you like, it won't prepare your quads or your calves for the steep stuff. Similarly, adding a pack doesn't make it any harder to walk on the flat, it's when you have to actually lift that weight that it makes a difference.

ah yes that's true, except he's talking about this Nordic incline trainer which goes up to 40% grade! that will train the calves and quads as well as any machine can for hiking.

Tbacon251

by Tbacon251 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:23 am

I would agree the versa climber will get you in shape fast. I used to play foorball for Purdue University and we used one.

I am altitude limited (live at 860 feet) and mountains are about 8 hours away. I do eliptical twice a week, stair master twice a week, and run once.

You just need to find what works for you and go for it!

Enjoy.

Next

Return to Technique and Training