northeast highpoints

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
surgent

by surgent » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:33 pm

mlandau3 wrote:if you add PA and MD, you should also consider Spruce Knob, WV

The PA and MD highpoints may be close to one another on the map, but they are far when you take the actual roads. Similarly for WV. I'd leave these three for another trip unless you plan in the time. There's much else to do in this area as well, all sorts of Appalachian peaks to consider. Remember, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but no one told the road builders that! (Seriously, in WV, if you need to go 10 miles, plan on driving 30. In my 4 or 5 trips to WV and the region, this is always the case, but the scenery is lovely).

no avatar
fsclimb

by fsclimb » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:17 pm

jniehof wrote:I'd choose airport based on cheapest price for flight + car total; Bradley might be a good choice. Logan isn't as dreadful as it's made out to be, but since Boston's nowhere near any of the peaks why bother with the traffic?

I agree with Jniehof- Bradley (BDL airport code) is right in the middle geographically (CT/MA border)...and cheap. Sightseeing in Boston is silly from a scheduling standpoint.

My order would be RI >CT> NY > MA > VT > NH > ME since Maine is the most spectacular (and most time consuming)

Previous

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)