November possibilities

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
jenrau

November possibilities

by jenrau » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:54 pm

Hoping to get another long day trip in the weekend of November 11. I was thinking Mount Gould or Dragon Peak if conditions stay good but after noticing camping isn’t open to book I’m wondering if the road will be open. What roads usually stay open a little later? I know the eastside pretty well and I’m flexible on trips just want to get out there hopefully somewhere south of bishop. Death Valley could be a backup but much rather be in the Sierras if anyone has suggestions.

Scott M.

Re: November possibilities

by Scott M. » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:17 pm

Glacier Lodge Road out of Big Pine is reliably open in November with access to several good opportunities for hiking and climbing. I think the county will keep roads open on Veteran's Day weekend so long as some big storm doesn't roll in.

jenrau

by jenrau » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:13 pm

I was already up there this year but was trail running

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:48 am

Well, the Black Lake, 4th Lake, 3rd Lake lollipop is always a favorite run of mine but there are many great climbs in the same vicinity that will fill your day. I would expect the Onion Valley Road to be open then, too, if you have your sights set on Gould or Dragon.

The following user would like to thank Scott M. for this post
Deb

Deb

by Deb » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:08 pm

There are plenty of dirt road pull-outs that you can rambo camp on Onion Valley Rd, as well as just sleeping in your vehicle in the parking lot. Link Dragon and Gould, it's a good time (be watchful for ice). At this point, all roads to trailheads are open. Snowfall will be predominantly north of Bishop this week...no idea about after Halloween.

Deb

by Deb » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:09 pm

Scott M. wrote:Well, the Black Lake, 4th Lake, 3rd Lake lollipop is always a favorite run of mine but there are many great climbs in the same vicinity that will fill your day. I would expect the Onion Valley Road to be open then, too, if you have your sights set on Gould or Dragon.

Ha! I finally hiked past 5th Lake to climb Two Eagle Peak last month, I was shocked at the beauty!

jenrau

by jenrau » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:48 pm

@deb really??? I didn’t remember any but I remember signs saying you can’t camp at the trailhead. There are two of us we can’t fit in my car. I was going to try pull outs or just up to Horseshoe meadows but that’s really out of the way.

jenrau

by jenrau » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:49 pm

@deb also wanting to link them but thought friend might freak at the exposure so we will see what time we are at with Gould but Dragon looks awesome

The following user would like to thank jenrau for this post
Deb

Return to California