!!! NYS Parks Closures !!!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
WalksWithBlackflies

!!! NYS Parks Closures !!!

by WalksWithBlackflies » Sat May 15, 2010 12:06 am

State park officials said Friday that 41 parks and 14 historic sites will be shut down and their gates locked beginning Monday.

This announcement comes after the Legislature voted to restore the $11.3 million parks funding that was cut from Gov. David Paterson’s proposed budget.

In late March, both the Senate and the Assembly unveiled budgets that restored the funding. But still no final agreement has been made and the state budget is more than five weeks late.

Basic maintenance work was already suspended at the properties, including lawn mowing and trail upkeep, and starting Monday restrooms will be locked, picnic tables will go in storage and people will be asked to leave.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news....79.html

A list of the Parks can be seen at the end of this article:

http://readme.readmedia.com/Stateme....1166601

I have contacts within the State Parks, and I was told that even if they close a Park, they may not be able to deny access. They said that by law, any Park that has used Federal funds (including any improvements by the CCC) cannot deny access to US citizens.

I also heard that State Forests have signs stating "No Public Access". Apparently, this is not true. I heard that the public does not have access only to roads within the forests, since maintenance fees have been withheld. Reportedly, a State worker "mistakenly" sent the wrong signs to the forest manager.

Catskillhiker

by Catskillhiker » Sat May 15, 2010 4:56 am

put simple as a new york vetting citizen i can say this, our Governor is a idot and should have been impeached for his corruption within his cabinet

as for spending he can buy stuff for the governor's mansion, like a 30'000$ rug, yet the parks cost to much to keep open, to that i can post what i think up here due to it not being word appropriate

as far as denying public use i dont think they can unless the area is a danger to life, such as buttermilk's George trail in the winter or such, but i would not take my word for it, check into a inside source

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Sat May 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Many park systems are currently at risk because of the economic situation and the lack of funds to pay for their upkeep. Some states have even raised the possibility of selling parkland to private investors who would, of course, develop the land.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Tue May 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Wondering if there is any update to this story. I heard on the news yesterday that the NYS legislature was getting past their impasse and were going to pass the budget. I wonder if this includes park funding. Found this reference to related content in the Adirondacks. They can't close the park, but they can certainly block off access to parts of it:

http://adirondackexplorer.org/out-takes ... -vehicles/

WalksWithBlackflies

by WalksWithBlackflies » Tue May 25, 2010 7:18 pm

As of yesterday, the Governor proposed stealing monies from the Environmental Protection Fund to give to the Parks. As a reflex, the Legislature said they were against it.

triyoda

by triyoda » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:44 am

Catskillhiker wrote:put simple as a new york vetting citizen i can say this, our Governor is a idot and should have been impeached for his corruption within his cabinet

as for spending he can buy stuff for the governor's mansion, like a 30'000$ rug, yet the parks cost to much to keep open, to that i can post what i think up here due to it not being word appropriate

as far as denying public use i dont think they can unless the area is a danger to life, such as buttermilk's George trail in the winter or such, but i would not take my word for it, check into a inside source

It's the governor's cabinet's fault that layoffs and/or cuts to pay or benefits for state workers are a non-starter in regards to fixing our state budget? Considering what we pay in taxes, we should arguably have the best park system in the US. But we don't. Where is the money going? I don't think one $30,000 rug explains the problem.

It is unfortunate the parks are being held hostage, but the state unions have a huge war chest, so there is really nothing else the governor can do. I think he is one of the few people in state government actually trying to do the right thing. The park closures have nothing to do with funding, the cost is very small. They are a political bargaining chip.

Write to your state congressman and/or assembly member and voice your concerns about the parks.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:16 pm

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:47 pm

Thanks for the good news, Tiger Lily. Hope this story is being played out to a positive end elsewhere too!

WalksWithBlackflies

by WalksWithBlackflies » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:52 pm

It looks like the Parks are now open for the season:

http://www.nysparks.com/newsroom/press- ... aspx?r=791

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)