Ohio is the best

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
xDoogiex

Ohio is the best

by xDoogiex » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:20 pm

We have youngstown, lebron James, buckeyes, and a river that caught on fire

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:29 pm

Iowa's better:

Guyzo

Re: Ohio is the best

by Guyzo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:41 pm

xDoogiex wrote:We have youngstown, lebron James, buckeyes, and a river that caught on fire

And you have the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. How the heck did that end up there?

Some badass climbers have come from o-hi-o .....

Bob Yoho and Chick Holtkamp to name a few.

XdoogieX don't worry, I have a friend who grew up in Michigan and had El Cap dreams.

He taught him self how to aid climb and Jumar quickley, using trees and buildings. And did road trips to the nearest Gym to hone the free climbing skills!

Came out to California and sent Zodiac........solo first try!!

Never to return.....to Michigan.

So dream on, you have a local climbing gym right? Go use it.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:47 pm

I love my local climbing gym. 10-15 mins away. One of the few things that make me wanna stay. Sadly I can't say the same about the Cleveland browns at the moment

mtndonkey

by mtndonkey » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:07 pm

I just moved back to SoCal after 2 years in Cincinnati. I refer to those years as the dark years. You know a place really sucks when everyone from there asks incredulously why you moved to Ohio from California. Pretty sure I will never go back.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:35 pm

I grew up in Michigan, but I traveled a lot to the West. The thing that blew my mind were all the people my age -- adults in their late 20s -- who had never seen the Grand Canyon or Pacific Ocean, had never known what hot feels like without humidity, and had NEVER seen a mountain, outside of photos.

I do suppose the people in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Rhode Island might be similarly baffled by me having never seen those four states. I do need to get to those sometime, and fortunately they can all be visited in one trip.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:15 am

I wish it was cheaper to travel out west

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:08 am

xDoogiex wrote:I wish it was cheaper to travel out west

In the 1990s, while I was going to school, we used to drive out from Michigan every summer, for 4 to 7 weeks at a time. We didn't camp much, but we stayed in the cheapest motels, usually Motel 6. The desert cities were particularly cheap in the summer. For example, Needles CA was like $27 for a night. That's probably because it was 114F there.

Anyway, our total expenses were around $100 per day, including motels and gasoline. So that's $700 per week, which isn't bad. Really, living in Michigan, I couldn't afford NOT to go out west at least once a year. The flat, humid, boring Midwest can make a desert-and-mountain lover lose his mind.

Of course, the prices have gone up since the 1990s, but some desert cities are probably still hot and cheap. If you avoid expensive-motel cities and get your food at grocery stores instead of restaurants, you can have a great trip without spending too much.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:31 am

thoth wrote:You've missed the best the east coast has to offer insofar as hiking and scenery goes.

Yes; I believe it. I for sure WILL go there someday. I can't get this close to visiting all 50 states without really wanting to finish the list.

Living in Nevada instead of Michigan now makes those last 4 a little harder to reach. But I think it's worth an LAS-BOS flight to go there, especially since I will be able to visit all of the remaining 4 in one trip.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:46 pm

thoth wrote:I remember thinking Rhode Island was a bit of a cesspool. As for the rest - rent a car, go to the Green Mountains in VT, Hike Huntingdon on Mt. Washington in NH, head over to Bar Harbor in Maine, go up and do Abol Slide on Katahdin, go to the coast, drive the Golden Road. It is beautiful. I'd aim for August/September/October to avoid the cold and the bugs.

Sweet. I was already thinking of fall, for the tree colors. I would do some checking first, to know when the correct time for that is. Regarding this thread, Ohio, and its eastern neighbor, I drove through PA once on 15 October. The trees were amazing, even just from the Interstate.

Yeti

by Yeti » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:34 pm

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/26 ... o-Ice.html

xDoogiex wrote:I love my local climbing gym. 10-15 mins away. One of the few things that make me wanna stay. Sadly I can't say the same about the Cleveland browns at the moment

You've got some caves and gorges up there. Nelson Ledges has some crazy conglomerate rock. Where do you climb, that joint by Appalachian outfitters?

mtndonkey wrote:I just moved back to SoCal after 2 years in Cincinnati.
I've been here for 2 years. Is there any place closer than Dayton to get on some rock?

dwhike

by dwhike » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:43 am

GO MAIZE & BLUE!!!

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:00 pm

Hey yeti, yeah I go to Kendall cliffs next to Appalachian outfitters. I haven't been to Nelson ledges but Virginia Kendall, brandywine falls, hinkley metropark, and blue hen falls trail are all pretty cool. There is a legal place where the manager went ice climbing but I can't remember the name. Just it was on the side of some big road

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:29 pm

I don't know dude. I have been to all the lower 48 states and Ohio is kind of low on my list. I guess I can't say to much about my home state PA, but at least you have a big ol lake near you, and Ceder Point!

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:03 pm

I have a brother in law who was foolish enough to move to Cleveland after marrying someone originally from there. They got divorced shortly thereafter and he's stuck there now since they had a kid. That sucks for me too since I now have to pay to fly me and my family out for the occasional visit. Yeah.

Anyways, you know the place has problems when the girls at the rental car counter ask you, "You're from Los Angeles. Why did you come here?"

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander