Old Woman Statue Access Issue

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Dave Daly

Old Woman Statue Access Issue

by Dave Daly » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Folks -

Long time, no posting. Anyway, I wanted to put this out to all your ambitious desert rats who are thinking about climbing Old Woman Statue. Got a nasty email from an individual who claims to be the property owner of a parcel near Old Woman. The parcel in question starts 1/4 mile past the broken windmill (1/2 mile past Painted Rock). They are threatening to place a gate before the windmill due to trespassing and misuse (ie firerings and trash). I have yet to receive proof of said parcel and maps showing boundries. When I created the page, I got a majority of my info from the DPS Chapter of the Sierra Club. BLM was contacted and they notified me that there were no access issues at the time I created the page.

If you plan on heading out there using the directions I have provided for the Old Woman Statue page, PLEASE park at Painted Rock. Keep a low profile and, as always, use the 'Leave No Trace' ethics.....as most climbers do. If there is a gate in place, please respect the landowners property and avoid passing through. When heading from Painted Rock to Old Woman Statue, go FAR right of the gate and up the obvious draw to the saddle.
"All you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be."
~ David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

Return to California