Opinions wanted: 75L Backpack

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
adventurer

Opinions wanted: 75L Backpack

by adventurer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm shopping around for a backpack in the 75 Litre size range. Principle use will be backpacking trips up to one week in length in any season.

I'm currently looking at the Deuter ACT Lite 65+10. I'd appreciate opinions/recommendations on this or another similar size pack.

Thanks very much.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

peninsula

Re: Opinions wanted: 75L Backpack

by peninsula » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:37 pm

Regarding everything I want in a pack including comfort (especially a nice form-fitted belt), function, light weight, and quality build, I'm really happy with my Osprey Aether 70. Osprey has an 85 in the Aether... unfortunately I don't see anything in between those two sizes on their website.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs

The following user would like to thank peninsula for this post
adventurer

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:37 am

peninsula wrote:Regarding everything I want in a pack including comfort (especially a nice form-fitted belt), function, light weight, and quality build, I'm really happy with my Osprey Aether 70. Osprey has an 85 in the Aether... unfortunately I don't see anything in between those two sizes on their website.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs

+1

But I would also suggest the consideration of going smaller. My Aether 60 can take me out for 10 days with no issue spring, summer and fall. 7 days in the winter (in fact my profile picture is the pack on a 7 day winter). Less is more IMO.

The following user would like to thank goldenhopper for this post
adventurer

peninsula

by peninsula » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:07 am

goldenhopper wrote:
+1

But I would also suggest the consideration of going smaller. My Aether 60 can take me out for 10 days with no issue spring, summer and fall. 7 days in the winter (in fact my profile picture is the pack on a 7 day winter). Less is more IMO.

Good point, "less is more" is one of my favorites, a true guideline for deal breakers or deal makers. I can get 10 days into my Aether 70 long as it's not too cold. How much food I can fit into a bear can is the primary limitation. But even with a 10-day pack, I can keep my sleeping bag inside.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:46 am

peninsula wrote:
goldenhopper wrote:
+1

Good point, "less is more" is one of my favorites, a true guideline for deal breakers or deal makers. I can get 10 days into my Aether 70 long as it's not too cold. How much food I can fit into a bear can is the primary limitation. But even with a 10-day pack, I can keep my sleeping bag inside.

I go real light so I have an advantage when choosing pack size. Even on the 7 day in my profile picture I left the floating lid at home. To be fair I mostly head out with a group of 3-5 so we share a lot of gear, which helps of course. My pack weight on a one week summer w/food is about 28; with a winter pack at about 36 with the snow shoes on my back.

gilbo

by gilbo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:56 am

I also have an Aether 60 which I use for backpacking, extended ice climbing and Rainier. I would think it would fit your needs.

The following user would like to thank gilbo for this post
adventurer

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:35 am

If you want a large capacity pack, the Arcteryx Bora 80 is a great choice. I got it as a gift from my GF several years ago, and initially thought it was too cushy for what I wanted, but I've come to appreciate how comfortable and well made it is. There are lighter choices available for things like alpine climbing, but if you want something that will be comfortable and durable hauling a big load for a week on the trail, you won't regret this pack.

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
adventurer

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:56 am

JHH60 wrote:If you want a large capacity pack, the Arcteryx Bora 80 is a great choice. I got it as a gift from my GF several years ago, and initially thought it was too cushy for what I wanted, but I've come to appreciate how comfortable and well made it is. There are lighter choices available for things like alpine climbing, but if you want something that will be comfortable and durable hauling a big load for a week on the trail, you won't regret this pack.

I also have a Bora70 & Bora 40. BULLETPROOF!!! I use the 40 for weekends, peak bagging and for training. My 70 is old and is my primary loaner. It been through hell and is still going strong (smells strong too). As you mentioned Arcteryx are the most comfortable packs around and have always been my second choice. The down sides are price and weight. Also, I personally prefer a streamline pack with less in the way of bells and whistles. The Bora line has a lot going on, which is good I guess for the technical stuff (that I don't do). :oops:

adventurer

by adventurer » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:43 pm

I used to have a Bora 95 which I used for several years on multi-week mountaineering expeditions. It was a great pack except for its bulk/weight, which was over 7lbs, and its very high price. Given the wide range of alternatives on the market today, I really don't understand how "dead bird" is stll able to sell them.

Over the past few years, I've made a conscious effort to take advantage of new technology pack materials, smarter manufacturers, and lower prices to modernize my pack "inventory".

I agree that a 60-65 litre pack is plenty for a week long BP'ing trip but I figure if I can get a larger pack at the same or less weight, why not just go with it for the added flexibility assuming all else such as durability is equal of course.

In addition to the Deuter ACT Lite 65+10, I'm also looking at alternatives like the GoLite Odessy (90 litre pack that weighs less than 4lbs), the Millet 60+10, and the Osprey Aether 60 or 70 as suggested above.

It's a fun little research project!
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

no avatar
fluxlib

by fluxlib » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:52 pm

Check out the Granite Gear stuff too. They tend to be around 60l though, which may be a bit small. My Osprey 85l pack swallows all my gear, but it's twice as heavy as the 60l GG I want for trimming down my pack weight.

Alot depends on what you carry and how you cut weight. The Osprey packs will handle very heavy loads.

The following user would like to thank fluxlib for this post
goldenhopper

radson

by radson » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:07 am

I recently spent a couple of weeks using a Cilogear 75l pack. Worked perfectly.

http://www.cilogear.com/7511.html

I initially purchased the 75l BD pack as well but it didnt arrive in time for my trip, so I have both now. For another trip, I think I would pick the Cilogear. Just looks more bomber.

http://hobyjackson.info/mountaineering/expedition-backpacks-75-litres

adventurer

by adventurer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Radson,

Thank you, Sir and Congratulations on all your great climbs.
James A. Michener

The following user would like to thank adventurer for this post
radson

4corners

by 4corners » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:23 pm

I have that same Deuter 65+ and it works well for me on longer desert hikes. We need the space for more water out here. Carries well, but that's because it fits me. Also have an older Bora 50, and CCW Valdez for climbing. Fit is everything, though. I like each of them for different things.

adventurer

by adventurer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:10 pm

Does anyone have experience with the Cold Cold World Chaos pack?

http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/chaos.htm
James A. Michener

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:37 am

adventurer wrote:Does anyone have experience with the Cold Cold World Chaos pack?

http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/chaos.htm

Great pack. I would suggest you look at this as well as the Wild Things Andinista.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
adventurer

Next

Return to Gear