Otis Peak - East Ridge

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
MarkDidier

Otis Peak - East Ridge

by MarkDidier » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:52 pm

Looking for some beta from anyone that has ascended or descended the east ridge of Otis. I'm considering using it as either an ascent or descent option from the CD this August.

The Mountain page has a reference to Lisa Foster's book and the route going Class 2. I am assuming there is a short bushwhack from/near Lake Haiyaha to reach the ridge. Just looking for some first hand feedback. The pic below is the only one from the Mountain page that shows the ridge. I was at the lake last summer but didn't really study it. Thanks in advance...

http://www.summitpost.org/view-of-otis-peak-hallett/148501/c-153126

no avatar
Quirrell

Re: Otis Peak - East Ridge

by Quirrell » Fri May 01, 2015 4:27 pm

This route is extremely straightforward and is, essentially, how you described it. Take the trail to Lake Haiyaha and then head up a steep grassy slope to your left. You may need to pick your way around the lake and bushwalk before the hiking gets clear of bramble and fallen trees. Once you gain the ridge of Otis proper just hike west until you gain the summit.

Nelson

by Nelson » Fri May 01, 2015 6:59 pm

Mark,

Bill and I were out hiking the other day and he mentioned that you had posted this.

I have not been on the Otis east ridge, but I have a photo that shows the lower part of it, which I just uploaded here:
http://www.summitpost.org/chaos-couloir/937673/c-628080

Looks pretty straightforward if you avoid those cliffs on the left of a descent. The map also shows prominent cliffs that would be on the opposite side of the ridge. But it looks like heading down towards Lake Haiyaha would be OK.

I looked in Roach's RMNP book, and he has nothing to say about Otis east ridge.

Hope that photo helps a bit.

The following user would like to thank Nelson for this post
MarkDidier

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Fri May 01, 2015 9:16 pm

Thanks Nelson! Yeah, the only info I have is about the Class 2 rating and 800 feet of gully. From the topo it doesn't appear that it would be all that complicated. We'll see what shakes out.

I'll be there the week of August 22nd. I'll be letting Bill know my plans so if you and him get out for a hike that week maybe we can finally meet, unlike last summer.

Happy Trails,
Mark

Nelson

by Nelson » Sat May 02, 2015 6:08 pm

Sounds good Mark. Maybe the weather gods will be better behaved this year.

Take care,
Nelson

Return to Colorado