Overheating

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
bvbellomo

Overheating

by bvbellomo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:15 pm

I am relatively inexperienced, and planning a trip to Ecuador to climb Cotopaxi and Chimborazo. I've been buying extra-warm clothing for the trip. Yesterday in 20F/-6C weather, I went to my car wearing nothing but a T-shirt and dress pants after my workout (indoor). I was still sweating when I got home 30 minutes later.

I know everyone says to dress in layers, but a 60 degree ice slope might a bad place to remove my thermal long underwear. It won't get below maybe 10F here before my trip, I don't own an ice axe, and I don't have anywhere to use it if I did. How do I decide how much clothing to wear?

drpw

Re: Overheating

by drpw » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:33 pm

^^^^^ooohhh, I wonder if Mammut has some Schoeller glacier pants in that model...

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:27 pm

You can generally get away with wearing less on your legs than your torso. You don't lose as much heat from your legs, and your legs are typically working and generating metabolic heat so dressing a little too lightly (or a little to warmly) won't make that big a difference. I generally dress so that I will be just warm enough while moving - top and bottom. You will be chilly in the early morning while waiting for everyone to get their act together, but this is good. When you start moving you will warm up and not overheat. When I stop for a break or start getting cold near the summit I throw my synthetic insulated hooded belay parka over top of everything, including whatever shell I am wearing.

Here is Alpine Ascents International's required gear list for Cotopaxi and Chimborazo. http://www.alpineascents.com/pdf/ecuador-gear.pdf

How many layers you will wear is dependent upon you and how warm or cold you get and of course the weather once you are on the mountain. That's the thing about doing a big mountain as one of your first climbing experiences - you don't have all that much prior experience to figure out what layers work for you. Get everything on the gear list that your guide company requires and go on some hikes to figure out what works for you personally.

Kai

by Kai » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:05 pm

My typical cold weather climbing clothing is as follows:

Legs: midweight or heavy weight base layer bottoms and soft shell pants

Torso: lightweight base layer top and a lightweight windbreaker

This combination is enough to keep me warm and comfortable when I am moving, down to the single digits (farenheit.)

When I stop moving, I put on a puffy, insulated jacket.

With this system, the only messing with layers that you are doing is putting on your puffy jacket when you stop moving.

AdamsKerr

by AdamsKerr » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:24 pm

keep a good moisture wicking layer next to your skin at all times. im in the same boat as you (sweat a lot) and that has seemed to work well for me over the years.

Whats your itinerary for your trip? im heading down there as well

no avatar
bearbreeder

by bearbreeder » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:33 am

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:47 pm

I usually use a light to medium synth top and bottom, softshell pants and a powerstretch fleece jacket + a shell (with hood), good for being relatively active in 20'sF, If I stand around doing nothing I get chilly right away though but I feel dry and comfortable all day. This "system" wicks moisture extremely effectively.

Another option is a light baselayer and R1 hoody combination or a light baselayer and a driclime windshirt like a Marmot Catalyst if its dry instead of using the shell. But, in a multiday trip one needs a waterproof shell with hood anyway so the windshirt jacket stays at home If I want to pack light.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:36 am

Santa often complains of "overheating," but only because he wears cotton.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Return to General